Irony? And a thought.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

PJ wrote:
Khan Krum wrote:(1) the recording of his playing was done under what many today would deem "primative," ...
Are you referring to the technical aspects of recording (reel-to-reel recorders, 1950s studio technology, etc) or to SE's preference for "single take" recordings (no overdubs, no multi-tracking, minimum retakes, etc)?
Both. I agree with what Mr. Sky wrote earlier that there is a special quality to single-take recordings that I very much like (I believe he used the example of Bob Dylan). To continue the analogy, it's like natural speech, i.e., "language on the hoof," not something cleaned up to such a degree that it sounds unnatural or artificial. With regard to the technical aspects, there's also a big difference between what pipers have at their disposal today and what they had then (there are exceptions, of course, like Kitty Hayes and Peter Laban's wonderful album that was, if I'm not mistaken, recorded in the former's kitchen).

I suspect that one thing that drives stylistic evolution is musicians making a "mistake" in their performance and quickly recovering, thus altering the structure of the norm (but, again, staying within certain parameters of the tradition). The result is a new device that has the potential to be the new norm. You can hear this in live performances and in not overly edited recordings like "single takes."
waymer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by waymer »

Canpiper, you are attempting to defy the laws of physics here.
Consider that time is relative to speed according to Einstien's General Theory. You don't posses the resources to travell any faster than the rest of us much less begin to approach the speed of light. Ennis oft quoted 21 years has IMHO just added another meaning that is, the beauty of the instrument will only be revealed fully to those that have paid their dues.
You are mistaking playing well (in a relatively short time when compared to others) for the ability to appretiate the aethetics of the experience.

When I told a friend of mine that I was considering taking up the pipes he said,"you are going to need a lot of patience" I put my name on a maker's list and waited for 2 1/2 years to recieve them in December. I thought that I was being patient just waiting to get my hands on a set. Little did I realize that he was talking about something else entirely.

You and I are puppys. We want the whole world and we want it now but we are going to have to wait in line just like the rest of them did.

Thank you for the topic. The insights of the experienced and the impudence of the novices has moved me closer to the enlightenment that I seek.

Jamie
Jamie
Live every day as if it were your last, for one day you are sure to be right.
carel

Post by carel »

very well said
this could be a nice end
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

carel wrote:very well said
this could be a nice end

... works for me.
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

waymer wrote:Canpiper, you are attempting to defy the laws of physics here. Consider that time is relative to speed according to Einstien's General Theory. You don't posses the resources to travell any faster than the rest of us much less begin to approach the speed of light.
?
waymer wrote: You and I are puppys. We want the whole world and we want it now but we are going to have to wait in line just like the rest of them did.
I wanted no such thing - that would be foolish. My ambitions were much more modest. Just read my posts! Proof.
waymer wrote:
Thank you for the topic.
No problem (well...). I actually think a lot of good information about Ennis came out of it, so I'm glad you liked it.
waymer wrote:
The insights of the experienced and the impudence of the novices...
Impudence?
waymer wrote:
has moved me closer to the enlightenment that I seek.

Jamie
Well, good. Keep doing your thing.
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
carel wrote:....this could be a nice end
... works for me.
Me too. Oddly appropriate. I think I have learned something more about why people think so much of Ennis, which was really the point. I also have a lot of listening suggestions, so thanks everyone.

James
Joseph E. Smith

That is partially what these forums are about.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

In case people don,t already know, there are several documentaries on Seamus Ennis available for download at the following link:

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/links_radio.html

Go to the Late Session and you'll find:

5/10/2002 Séamus Ennis Tribute - Part 1
12/10/2002 Séamus Ennis Tribute - Part 2
12/10/2002 Liam O'Flynn discusses the influence of Séamus Ennis on "The Giant at My Shoulder"

There's also documentaries on Willie Clancy and Leo Rowsome and tributes to Johnny Doran.

Kudos (yet again) to Pat D'Arcy for providing all this great stuff.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Thanks for reminding us Peej. :thumbsup:
patrick Jacob

Re: Irony? And a thought.

Post by patrick Jacob »

[quote="canpiper"]I played highland pipes at a pretty high level - I was in a top band when I was 14, and by 22, I was already getting sick of it. I must admit that a big part of my discontent had to do with 'the politics' in that world. It's a story I know I don't have to go into here -quote]

Join the club !

Patrick
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

patrick Jacob wrote:
canpiper wrote:I played highland pipes at a pretty high level - I was in a top band when I was 14, and by 22, I was already getting sick of it. I must admit that a big part of my discontent had to do with 'the politics' in that world. It's a story I know I don't have to go into here -quote]

Join the club !

Patrick
What do you mean by "'the politics' in that world"? That sounds a bit weird. Please elaborate.
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Beau Comiseau wrote:
patrick Jacob wrote:
canpiper wrote:I played highland pipes at a pretty high level - I was in a top band when I was 14, and by 22, I was already getting sick of it. I must admit that a big part of my discontent had to do with 'the politics' in that world. It's a story I know I don't have to go into here -quote]

Join the club !

Patrick
What do you mean by "'the politics' in that world"? That sounds a bit weird. Please elaborate.
How about at the Ontario Piper's Club meeting?
djm

Post by djm »

How about it?

Hip-hip-hooray!!!

Is that what you meant?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

Beau Comiseau wrote:
patrick Jacob wrote:

Join the club !

Patrick
There are a lot of rules, besides the music. Example: For a competition you have to ware a kilt, otherwise you get disqualified. This means that a uniform is more important than music. (still have 3 sheets what say: 1st, disqualified).
There a so many rules...
But have to tell that the Bretons have no such problems. No RSPBA rules. They can make music, the Pipe bands just show what they can, but completly mis the music. Competition thats very important for a pipe band.
For example: They start wit a march, then they play just a few bars a a beautifull slow air, and rush into a strathspey, to go on to the next tune. Were is that slow air??? :-?

But a big problem is that no instrument is so attached with a uniform like the GHB. :moreevil:
I stopped also the GHB for several years. Sold the GHB, but started again because I missed the piobaireachd.

But for me there is a very big difference between the GHP's and the U-pipers.

Groeten,
Patrick
Joseph E. Smith

Perhaps we could continue this discussion on the other piping forum? That sounds so cool, the OTHER piping forum... we bag squeezers are 'a takin' over da' world baby!
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

You are Right Joseph , I was writting a bit to much non uilleann. :oops:

Groeten :party: ,
Patrick