Where to start?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

What set up would you recommend for a beginner

Practice set (Chanter only)
49%
Half set (chanter and drones)
40%
Full set (or 3/4 set) Chanter drones and regs
11%

Total votes: 45

Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Where to start?

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi Gang,

This question is being touched on in another thread. I thought it would be interesting to get some numbers and see if there's a consensus.

Assume money is no object and that the hypothetical newbie has serious commitment to progress.

My 2 bits...

I'd recommend a 1/2 set. They're more musical, and it's good to learn to balance drones and chanter as soon as possible. I'd recommend avoiding regs until serious obsession and some real skill has set in.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

If money's no object, I'd say a 1/2 set. However, it's rare that money is no object, at least for the circles I move in :wink: .
PJ
waymer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by waymer »

One argument for starting with the 1/2 set is that the drones in ones lap could take some getting used to later.
Jamie
Live every day as if it were your last, for one day you are sure to be right.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I started with a half-set. I found that it was good to get used to having the drones on the lap as well as the fact that if I wanted to practice maintaining consistant bag pressure, but needed a break from doing stuff on the chanter, that the drones are good for that. That said, I'm still not doing both at the same time. I want to get the chanter work solid first.

I'm not sure if I'll ever get to the point where I'm ready to integrate regulators, but at least with the half-set, I feel as if I have a "complete" instrument that will serve me for a lifetime of playing.
Corin
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Sorry, I'm still sticking with practice set first. I came to the UPs with extensive experience in the GHB/SSP world and I'm still very glad that I spent a year with just a practice set before getting my drones. Bottom line: the UP chanter is a crazy beast, it's hard to play, and there's no easy way around it. The temptation of drones is such that most people would want to start using them right away and then they'd develop bad habits of never getting the pressure right. I've heard way too many pipers whose drones are all over the place and their chanters choking or squealing from too much/too little pressure and if these players had maybe spent a year working with only the chanter, they'd have done themselves (and anybody listening to them) a colossal favor.

Didn't Leo Rowsome make Liam O'Flynn use a practice set for something like 5 or 6 years before allowing him to get drones? Perhaps a tad extreme, but I'm sure he had his reasons...
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

waymer wrote:One argument for starting with the 1/2 set is that the drones in ones lap could take some getting used to later.
That is my feeling on the matter, why not develope good posture now.
carel

Post by carel »

If I could go 6 years back I would buy a full set of flat pipes
Last edited by carel on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maze

with which to start

Post by maze »

i started with a full set.. meaning i screwed up a lot of reg and drone reeds to begin with when i should have just focused on the chanter.

i do not think it matters what you start with, as long as you JUST focus on the chanter playing. the more that is there to screw with, the more that will be screwed with.

i met once at a tionol a fledgling piper who had the full set to begin with... he could vamp the hell out of a hornpipe on the regs, but could not play the melody to save his life... not good.
Maze
AlanB

Post by AlanB »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:I've heard way too many pipers whose drones are all over the place and their chanters choking or squealing from too much/too little pressure and if these players had maybe spent a year working with only the chanter, they'd have done themselves (and anybody listening to them) a colossal favor.
Yes. They're too much a temptation at the start. I'm too young to vote, but I say go with a 'Practice Set'.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I'm a master of self-control :D To me the drones are useless without the chanter, so it's been easy to resist the temptation. I've also been playing ITM for almost a decade and learned early on that the melody is far more important than any accompaniment, so I have that imprinted in me as well. I think perhaps rather than a "what set" type question, the question of whether or not beginning pipers should have some time down with the whistle first is good. I think the first lessons that someone who is new to the pipes AND ITM should be whistle lessons. Playing the flute and whistle for the last 10 years has most definitely made it easier on me learning the pipes. My $0.02 only...
Last edited by meemtp on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corin
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

I think perhaps the individual / proficiency factor plays in mightily.

For me, if I could have financially, , & knew what I know now, I'da gone for at least a half set, no question.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I've had several sets... 3 or 4 practice sets about the same number of half sets and one full set come and go over the last years or so (mostly through the store).

My own set is a Lynch Half set which I really enjoy. I was certainly no match for the lovely regs on the Gallagher full set I had here for awhile. I'm ordering some from Kirk though, hoping that by the time they're ready I might be. :)

Interestingly, I've had an additional Lynch practice set here as well lately. I find that I pick it up and play it a lot more than my 1/2 set. Not that it sounds or plays better, it's just very handy and quick to whip the thing out and practice. If money really were no object I think there would be real value in having a 1/2 set but also getting an extra bag so you could do quickies on the practice set.

Hmmm...maybe that's why they call them "Practice sets" instead of "Beginner sets".

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I have heard it say Johnny Doran started on the full set. See where that got him :P
itisi

Post by itisi »

Start with a practise set.
Then YOU decide when you get drones and regs.
Not somebody else who thinks he's an authority on your life.
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I'd never want someone who thinks he's an authority on my life telling me when he thinks I should be allowed to buy expensive woodwind paraphernalia. A teacher who gives a damn about my playing and my progress on the other hand...I might be willing to take his or her advice on the matter.