Uilleann Wiki

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilleann915
antispam: No

Uilleann Wiki

Post by Uilleann915 »

Does anyone else ever go to this site? I found it when I was just thinking about playing the pipes, and found it useful & fun. I've had my 1st set barely a month, but it seems like half the content on this Wiki site has been put there by me. :P And I know so little....would love to see it grow. If you're new to a "Wiki" check out Wikipedia.org, very fun stuff. The link to the Uilleann Pipe Wiki is here....you have to get a logon name to edit it.

http://www.nwup.org/uiwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Uilleann Wiki

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Uilleann915 wrote:Does anyone else ever go to this site?

I did, just now. :D
halfirish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by halfirish »

I keep an eye on the Wiki and I've contributed myself. I think it's a great idea but it's still very much in its infancy. Pipers the world over should visit this site and make a contribution, if only because they are pipers.
Tel
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Its developing slowly but already has some useful stuff.

The list of piping books, tune books, periodicals, teach yourself stuff, cd roms and dvds is probably the most extensive you can find.
Piping Resources
Informative but incomplete details of historical makers.
Pipemakers
The "How to Play" section currently has Bag and Bellows technique, Fingering charts and a bit on separating notes.
Playing
Pipemaking section gets you as far as step drilling your chanter blank.
Pipemaking
Reedmaking is again at the early stages. Nice photo of a Dan Dowd reed.
Reedmaikg

You do not need to be an expert to contribute. Sections that just need someone willing to muck in are:
Listing Piping Organisation
Organisations
Several significant pipers have minimal entries. Someone with research skills could fill thing out here.
Pipers

If anyone has plenty of time on the hands a Uilleann discography could be the way to go.
If you want to add information but cannot get to grips with the Wiki software, PM me and I'll help out.

Its the sort of thing you can do a bit on when you have the time.
Eventually all the small contributions will add up to something big.

Thanks Uilleann915 for posting.

David
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

David,
Is there a reason to show the Dan Dowd reed? The lips are cut slightly out of square and look a bit gnawed, also the scrape is obscured. I have some clear pictures of reeds you are welcome to use.

http://angar.net/reeds/boisvert_d_reed.jpg
http://angar.net/reeds/gilmore5.jpg
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Hi Tony,

It's mainly there because it passed through my hands and I thought it had some historical interest. (Tapered head and Dan's "signature"). The plan is it will be balanced out by further contributions to the "Reed Gallery" section.

Thanks for the offer of the photos, I will add them. Do you have any dimensions for the reeds?
If anyone else has any reed photos (non copyright), especially from significant makers with relevant dimensions please post them up or email them to me and I will do it.

It could develop into a fascinating section of the Wiki.

David