Tayloresque bass reg

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
uillmann

Tayloresque bass reg

Post by uillmann »

Can anyone identify the maker of this regulator?

Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Could be Robert Hutton or even Pat Hennelly. The provenance of the set, if available, might assist in the ID.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

It was included with the box of Taylor, Rowsome and other pipes I got years ago. It was much cruder than the Taylor stuff, but the bore is identical to the Taylor's bass reg reamer at the Mercer Museum.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Then Robert Hutton.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Is that a copper tube for the bend of the bass regulator? The Willie Rousome Bb set that was found in Boston had its bass remodeled as a Taylor type, and simple copper tube was used for the bend. We figured that must be Patsy Brown's work, since he was in Boston.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

The bend is brass, apparently hand rolled, and nickel plated. There is no wood in the tube, but a few splinters of boxwood(?) were stuck deep in the inner wall.
nwhitmer
antispam: No

Post by nwhitmer »

Here are pics of a bass reg in my possession, maker unknown, not a Taylor. Copper tube for the bend. aluminum mounts.

I suspect the best one can say is that makers of sets like these had a common influence - the Taylors! Telling who made what based on the objects alone seems like an impossible job at this point. It's fun to think about, tho.

For example, Ted Anderson had a look at this set & sensed a whiff of Brennan, due to the key shape.

Speculatively,

Nick Whitmer