eBay auction, used practice set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

John Mulhern,your rantings are taking on an evil tinge and it is beginning to sound like extracts from Mein Kampf or is it KKK dogma?In the time honoured fashion I'm lifting my kilt to you and your ilk and shouting across the pond to you "Pogue mo Thone"
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

John Mulhern,your rantings are taking on an evil tinge and it is beginning to sound like extracts from Mein Kampf or is it KKK dogma?In the time honoured fashion I'm lifting my kilt to you and your ilk and shouting across the pond to you "Pogue mo Thone"
Sorry Liam,

I've read all the post's and I believe it's you that's in for some sensitvity training.

You don't know anything about Seamus or John and to put them is the same boat as Hitler has crossed the boundries of sanity.
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

you've chosen to condescendingly "enlighten" and "educate" us in America to your local geographical sensitivities, and then applied a self-administered, holier-than-thou pat on the back to congratulate yourself on your "superior" morality and sensitivity.
Wow.

Who's condescending to whom? It seems to me that your statement here (and your general attitude) is much closer to 'What We Do Here In America Is The One True Way' than it is an attempt to dissuade others from something as dangerous and (dare I say it?) communistic as Po-litikal Korrectness. (Did you really like McCarthy, or what?)

Get a grip, man, there are far more people in the world than there are in the U.S. and maybe you should look at the fact that almost everyone who's pointed out the racism inherent in the term is from another country.

All you've done so far is slam us for -more or less- not being American enough to write your way, in the most condescending and hostile of terms. I'm not going to spell 'honour' any other way than that.

"Local Geograpical sensitivities"? Jesus, that's laying it on a little thick. Back off, take a deep breath, and try to wrap your mind around the idea that the world is larger than the States.

Taking a few deep breaths myself,

Mark

(edited for stupidity)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jqpublick on 2002-09-13 15:24 ]</font>
piperben

Post by piperben »

And so this will continue.....
May I make one final statement.
Those of you who feel they are entitled to use the word "Pakistani" in whatever connotation or situation obviously feel justified in doing so.
Some of us , myself included balk at the term.
I have good reason to. As a child I witnessed first hand my mother being called a Pakistani and other racist abuse. From personal negative experiences in my life the term Pakistani upsets me, so I am asking those of you who have used that term, even without any racist undertones to refrain from doing so in future.
I suppose that some of you will think that I am the one one with the problem.... Maybe you have a point.
I love piping, and pipes and have really enjoyed reading and contributing to this forum.
This will be my last posting on this subject. I am sure that those of you who feel justified in using whatever language you want, will continue in the same vain. Please try to understand WHY some of us may find it upsetting.Words can and do hurt.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Don't be sorry CraigMc,I am certainly not.You are absolutely right that I do not know either Seamus or John.I am only responding to their comments and am being judgemental on the basis of what they are writing.I am not putting the words into their mouths presumably they have the ability to know what they are saying.All I did at the beginning was to make aware an offensiveness,the rest as they say is history,and not very pleasant either is it !
Tell me because I am beginning to wonder are there ASIANS in America(God help them) and if so do they really like being called Pakistani?
I no longer wish to contribute to this thread
I have said my piece and you can make your own minds up.I am going back to my non-rascist Bb set and bring some sanity back into my life.
Slan
Liam
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

"John Mulhern,your rantings are taking on an evil tinge and it is beginning to sound like extracts from Mein Kampf or is it KKK dogma?In the time honoured fashion I'm lifting my kilt to you and your ilk and shouting across the pond to you "Pogue mo Thone""
-----------
"Wow. Who's condescending to whom? It seems to me that your statement here (and your general attitude) is much closer to 'What We Do Here In America Is The One True Way' than it is an attempt to dissuade others from something as dangerous and (dare I say it?) communistic as Po-litikal Korrectness. (Did you really like McCarthy, or what?)"
-----------
1) Please re-read my earlier comments. No one is asking you to change your local definition or sensitivities about a word. What is being asked is that you understand that word's have local, geographical meaning's, and that the word "Pakistani" where this particular keyboard is located, (55 mile's East of Los Angeles, the political correctness capitol of the world), has NO ethnic denigration intended! NONE! God forbid your overly sensitive vision should view one of our Indo-Pak businesses! You'd probably demand the owner change his advertising sign's to suit YOUR sensibilities!
2) The hypocrisy of professing such a heightened moral concern, and smearing those who honestly differ from your viewpoint as Hitler / KKK / McCarthyite's is loathsome to me! It's worthy of the worst autocratic propaganda ministries trying to stifle dissent!
3) ""Pogue mo Thone""? Before you pull your skirt up, don't forget to pull my size 11 boot out of your ass, Uilliam! Ha ha ha! <==(joke...sheesh!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Mulhern on 2002-09-14 00:06 ]</font>
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Mulhern I have posted a private message to you
Ulliam
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

"Mulhern I have posted a private message to you
Ulliam"
------------
I don't open PM's from stranger's. Anything you have to say to me will be said within the venue of this open forum.
anima

Post by anima »

I also posted you a private message John.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Didn't you read? He doesn't read private messages. Which makes his desire apparent to anyone familiar with Royce in the UP mailing list.

Dionys
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

"I also posted you a private message John."
---------------
Thank you, anima
---------------
"Didn't you read? He doesn't read private messages. Which makes his desire apparent to anyone familiar with Royce in the UP mailing list."

"Dionys"
---------------
I am NOT Royce Lerwick...and I hope to God, Dionys, that you are not Bill Davidson! Hahahahahaha!
Seriously, folk's...if anyone want's to put aside this internecine bickering so we can all get back to the study of this beautiful musical instrument, I will happily go along. - John
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Auction ended with 21 bids. The highest bit was $340, not enough to meet the reserve though.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

How dare you; a reply that actually deals with the original thread! The nerve!lol
Marc
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Sorry.
I have my faults :smile:
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I am considering selling a set of Pakistani Pipes on Ebay myself. They were left to me by my Grandfather who I understand obtained them from his far flung travels..

They are wooden pipes played with the feet.

The name stems from the Iranian Pa meaning Foot and Ki an ancient Japanese term for wood.

Anyone interested in buying a rare set of Pakistani Pipes?

Two of my very best friends are Pakistanis, they are the nicest people you could meet.

I am sure nobody seriously meant true offence, I think that some of us might be a little oversensitive.

All this Political Correctness is a load of.....cant think of word in case I offend someone!!

Thanks,

Larry, (The Dirty, Drunken, Fighting Irish Paddy or Mick married to a Fenian)

I seem to remember signs in Hotels and Boarding Houses in London in the 60's stating.....no Blacks or Irish Welcome.......

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LarryM on 2002-09-24 08:49 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LarryM on 2002-09-24 09:00 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LarryM on 2002-09-24 09:05 ]</font>