NSP wanted

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ted
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

If you could just find the person who took Sean Folsom's NSP...
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

NSP Still wanted. :)

By the way, anyone know of any sound files of G NSPs?

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

There's an F set (probably the traditional F#) on ebay.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is the finger spacing. I had an F set for about 2 years and I finally had to sell it (partially to fund my uilleannn obsession) but mostly because the finger spacing was impossibly tight for me. I simply couldn't play without developing nasty cramps in the palms of my hands.

G sets are even closer in their finger spacing. When I was looking to purchase a set, I emailed back and forth with Barry Say several times about what key I should get. He steered me away from the G set because of the tight spacing. He indicated, IIRC, that he really can't play a G set well anymore because of the tight spacing. If you have large hands, you may want to consider that a G set may be darn near impossible to play.

D sets are spaced much wider. One day I will own another set of NSP's and it will be a D set.
MarkS wrote:The most common key for NSP is F+ (20 cents sharp of F), followed by D and then G. But if you want to play with others, the most important thing is to be in the same key as everyone else, so find out what key they're playing in and buy a set in that key.
This is good advice, but don't forget that NSPs (F sets anyway) are Bflat transposing (like Bflat trumpets and clarinets).

Good luck!
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

In the very near future (within 2 weeks for sure) I will be selling a very much restored and tweaked Burleigh F set with 14 key chanter through Ebay. Optional with it will be a Burleigh D chanter with 14 keys (different keys though) and extenders for the drones to make the F drones into D drones.

I play a G chanter a lot myself ONLY because it plays well with other instruments. It is very tight to play and I have average fingers! I prefer F for playing with other NSPers and D for playing with myself.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

liestman wrote:... and D for playing with myself.
<<...must ...resist ...temptation to make ...obvious ...joke>>
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

Found this in the Trading Post over at bobdunsire.com forums... an NSP set in G!

http://www.bobdunsire.com/cgi-bin/ubb/u ... 7;t=004703