newbie and pipes shock

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Baen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

newbie and pipes shock

Post by Baen »

Hello all,

This is regarding my disappearing Kirk Lynch half set post.

I just recently posted a new Kirk Lynch half set for sale, and thought I was doing so because of time and money reasons. Upon reflection, I realized that it was in fact not due to those reasons---after all, who really has enough time to do all that they need to do? And who has excess piles of money laying around? I don't, and I don't know anyone else who does (though I know those people exist out there in the world).

Then I realized the REAL reason I was trying to sell them off so soon after getting them (after a 2 1/2 year wait): it was facing the first step in the seemingly daunting task of becoming a piper!

The first try with juggling to strap into everything was frustrating enough, as well as trying to practice the first note (I know, I know, a practice set would have been more practical), and led me to thinking twice about how wise it was to go down this road of learning to be a piper. Hence my reaction to sell the set.

I'm happy to say that the second practice session today went much better. I felt much more comfortable getting everything in place, coordinating the bag and bellows, practicing the note, and even accenting the note (which I had trouble with yesterday).

Thanks for your patience with me, and my "crying wolf" post. I realized that I should at least give the pipes a chance before I run screaming in the other direction...and when I feel like that, I probably need to either a) practice more, or b) practice less.

All said, I'm glad that this message board exists, and thank everyone for the helpful advice they've given me over the past few years leading up to my getting the set.

Now all I need is a case. Having the pipes on the living room floor is not the best storage option :(

cheers,
Baen
smithand

Post by smithand »

Where are you in Northern California? Meeting other pipers makes a huge difference, even if it's only for a few hours. The SF Pipers Club meets on the first Sunday of every month. Just one afternoon a month (and I haven't always managed that) has made a huge difference to my practising.

Andrew
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Then theres that big ol Tionol in Seattle every year too.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

The tionol alternates between San Francisco and Seattle- so 2007 is in the bay area. Shameless plug- there is always the So Cal tionol as well
Joseph E. Smith

fel bautista wrote:The tionol alternates between San Francisco and Seattle- so 2007 is in the bay area. Shameless plug- there is always the So Cal tionol as well
Right, silly of me to forget the SO CAL Tionol, what was I not thinking? :D
Reepicheep
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Reepicheep »

Baen,
Worry not! Lesser men than thee (i.e. myself) have done the same. I sold a Pat Sky practice set then later regretted it (then purchased a Daye halfset a few months later).

Since you have a set of drones, you have a near perfect mechanism for practicing bellows technique. Just shut off the tenor and bass drones (I use a wee bit of black electrical tape on the ends). Now just cover all of the holes on the chanter and close off the bell on your thigh. Keep the baritone drone sounding a steady, unwavering note as you depleat the bag then refill it with the bellows. It sounds boring (and it is, especially after 15+ minutes or so), but developing a proper bellows technique is of the utmost importance.

Are you using any printed/cd/video tutors?

Heed what the others have said about getting to a Tionol... you will be amazed how much you can learn in a weekend.

For a case I found an old Samsonite hard-sided suitcase in my parents attic. Or you could find an old tenor (or bari) sax case on ebay and pull out the foam forms. (I similarly used an alto sax case for my Northumbrian smallpipes).

Peace!
Reepicheep
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Baen

Post by Baen »

Thanks for all the words of support and advice!

I live just an hour's drive north of San Francisco, so I really should avail myself of the proximity to the San Francisco Pipers Club, as well as the Tionol next year.

As far as tutoring material goes, I'm using Heather Clarkes New Approach to Uilleann Piping. Was also thinking of getting the UP DVD. I've just kept the drones turned off so far, but will have to try practicing with the bellows using just the baritone drone. Thank you for the suggestion, as my bellows technique is not the smoothest.

Went to a music store today and looked at their cases; a used tenor sax case, very sturdy, but a bit expensive at $100. Also looked at some used dulcimer cases, but the ones I looked at were very cheaply made. Will have to check into old used Samsonite suitcases---a trip to the local thrift stores is in order! I had hoped to get a case long enough not to have to take the drones apart each time, but the price of a used suitcase would sure be an incentive.

cheers,
Baen
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

Baen,

Here's a few from ebay... re: viola cases, if memory serves, a viola case is what Pat Sky uses for his full set (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Viola-15-15-1-2 ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-STOCK-BLACK-VIOLA ... dZViewItem

Do a search of the forum for "cases" and you should find plenty of other ideas.

Peace!
Reepicheep
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Joseph E. Smith

Just as a side note, and I am certain you are already aware of this, but I would concentrate on chanter technique and bellows technique before adding a drone or drones. My two cents worth fwiw.
fgibbons
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

SF pipers are awsome

Post by fgibbons »

Baen wrote:Thanks for all the words of support and advice!

I live just an hour's drive north of San Francisco, so I really should avail myself of the proximity to the San Francisco Pipers Club, as well as the Tionol next year.
Baen, I lived out in the SF Bay area for a few years in the late 1990's, about an hour south of the city itself. I got my first set of pipes out there, and learned my first few tunes on the pipes there. The stalwarts of the uilleann piping scene out there, of whom there are surprisingly many, are uniformly friendly and generous with their time and spirit. I still give thanks to Kevin Carr almost daily for teaching me how to do tight f-g-a triplets at a meeting of the SF pipers' club in his backyard.

From what I read in the piper's review recently, they've started moving the meetings around, after holding them in the United Irish Cultural Center for a few years. You should absolutely get in touch with them - Conall, Richard, Justine (Madam President), Victor, and others - all nice people.

You'll be surprised how far you'll get with a little encouragement and someone to show you the ropes.

Good luck with it.

-Frank
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

The drones are really good for helping learn your bellows technique. I would suggest periodically adding the tenor and baritone drones to help you realize how much pumping you will need to do. But I would agree in focusing on the chanter with the drones off most of the time.
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

Hey Frank Gibbons!

Thanks for the nice comments on the SF Pipers' Club. I agree!

How have you been? Please send me a note when you get a chance. I'd like to catch up with you.

Richard