In Praise of Johnny McSherry

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Fingers
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

In Praise of Johnny McSherry

Post by Fingers »

In My estimation he is ONE if not THE most influential pipers of our time. I have heard many recordings from coolfin to mairead ni domhnaill. Himself and mike mcgoldrick formed lunasa. If you go to his web site he's recorded with an amazing array of people form the corrs to nancy griffiths. This guy is an amazing musician!!!!!!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Man, I am getting tired of this little game you and the other dude are playing. I am sure Mr. McSherry would be very embarrassed by it.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

P'raps they'll get married. :love:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
gold ring

Post by gold ring »

Undoubtedly a very accomlished player and brilliant ,but doesn't play the regs and definately doesn't do it for me.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

gold ring wrote:but doesn't play the regs

:-? :-? :-?
buskerSean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

are you sure about the reg playing? I recently got the Davy Spillane and Kevin Glackin CD, which is totally trad and Davy is playing regs and all on that one, unlike his usual band recordings where we only hear the chanter.

The same maybe true for other top pipers who we normally hear in a band setting.
gold ring

Post by gold ring »

Davy Spillane is a very accomplished reg player but I was referring to John McSherry who doesn't play em at all...
Joseph E. Smith

gold ring wrote:Davy Spillane is a very accomplished reg player but I was referring to John McSherry who doesn't play em at all...

I reiterate... :-? :-? :-?
RobBBQ
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

McSherry's reg playing can be clearly heard on the tune "Lady Lane" (track 6) of "At First Light" that he recorded with Mike McGoldrick. Tasteful stuff to my ears.

Rob
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I don't think it's possible to judge regulator playing from studio recordings. Multitracking is too easy, even with a home studio.

JES - I'm also confused. How did Davy Spillane get dragged into this?
PJ
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

Kinda like the old story of the Ferrari and the Mustang at the red light........the Mustang's revving the engine & flipping off the guy in the Ferrari & cracking jokes & what not, while the guy in the Ferrari of course keeps totally cool, grinning with his RayBans on. Then the light turns green, and of course the guy in the Mustang floors it & darts off into the distance as fast as the car can go, while the guy in the Ferrari just gently eases into the traffic knowing full well that had he WANTED to, he could've DUSTED the Mustang's ass.

Now, I'm certainly not saying that the old/current masters out there who use regs frequently are anything like the guy in the Mustang, but it just goes to show what a little miraculous, certainly 'not of this world' chanter work on the part of Mr. McSherry can do!
Benjamin Thomas Isa Jaber
Joseph E. Smith

Also, take into consideration, when playing with a host of other instruments, using regs would be pointless and at times in conflict with the the other instruments.

What you need to do, is sit down with John when he is not on stage, and ask him to play something that utilizes the regs.
maze

mustang

Post by maze »

As a SVT Mustang Cobra driver, I take offense by this depiction. :swear:
Joseph E. Smith

Re: mustang

maze wrote:As a SVT Mustang Cobra driver, I take offense by this depiction. :swear:
John, baby, you are the exception to the rule, man. :lol:
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Just to clear up any confusion, I'll speak slowly and loudly. Davy Spillane was an example of a fine reg player whom mostly plays just the chanter on band recordings. I was suggesting it may be the same with John McSherry.

Unless you have sat down and played with John, how can you say what he can/can't do?

Lets hear a recording of your reg playing guys.