Liam O' Flynn

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
gold ring

Liam O' Flynn

Post by gold ring »

Just curious...I know O'Flynn live over near Kilcullen somewhere in kildare but does anyone know anything about the man himself? Does he have family for example and what is he like in person?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

He is married. His wife is big on horses. He drives a big 1974 purple Caddie pimpmobile with white feather boa interior and trim. He is not allowed to play the pipes in the house, so goes down to a shed at the foot of the garden to practise. He is not known for being particularly chatty, and has threatened neighbours several times with a sawn-off shotgun. He has an invisible friend.

Hope that helps,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh dear.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
gold ring

Post by gold ring »

I was asking for that one I suppose!!!
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

djm wrote:He is married. His wife is big on horses. He drives a big 1974 purple Caddie pimpmobile with white feather boa interior and trim. He is not allowed to play the pipes in the house, so goes down to a shed at the foot of the garden to practise. He is not known for being particularly chatty, and has threatened neighbours several times with a sawn-off shotgun. He has an invisible friend.
:lol:
PJ
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Liam (as his friends refer to him) is a scratch golfer. His putter is a converted Kenna Bb chanter that forces him to bend low when he putts but it effectively extends his practice time to nearly round the clock. That what it takes to remain on top of the piping heap.
gold ring

Post by gold ring »

To be honest I love the fun and all but if someone could just give me a paragraph of serious info on O'Flynn. I promise to join in takin the piss out of myself with you guys, as soon as I satisfy my curiosity.....
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I think the first two items in djm's message are correct.

Apart that, from the two or three times I've met him, he seems like a lovely guy, quiet but with a good sense of humour.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

http://www.folkworld.de/5/liam.html
Leaving the motorway, I was in a country lane looking for an unassuming cottage on the outskirts of Kilcullen, (a short distance from Liam's birth place in Kill and about 1 2 miles from Dunlavin).I'll admit it now, I got lost. A quick call on my mobile from Nass and I set off in search of another story for IMM. As you might have suspected, I did manage to locate Liam, his house being "the third one from the turning, it's yellow and its behind a hedge" - you need a high IQ to be a post man in Ireland, that's for sure. Liam and his rotweiller met me at the garden gate. It was a choice between soaking or braving the beast, I made for the gate. The dog, as gentle as a puppy, was all over me (which adds another criterion for postmen in Kildare).

Liam showed me into a log cabin at the end of his lawned garden. He explained that this is own space, where he plays the pipes for maybe two hours each day, where he can divert phone calls, read a book, catch up on paper work and listen to music; an oasis where he can rekindle his creative energies. He lit the stove and we sat down to a lovely hour of relaxed talk.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
stain

Post by stain »

Apparently O'Flynn still wears Ennis's old paisley pyjamas every night on tour but wears Willie Clancy's old torn grey one, which were bought in the 50's in Shaw's in Limerick, when he's at home. (they were not any where near "almost nationwide" at the time, by the way)
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

I had the opportunity to hear Liam's band in Santa Cruz several years ago. I was also able to arrange an interview with him.

I will say that, not only is Liam an incredible piper (one of my favourites), he also is a real gentleman.

He can play the whole range from traditional, to pop, to classical. His playing is so smooth and precise as well.

He is very soft spoken and was very generous with the limited time he had that evening after the gig.

One thing that I learned from him was that he doesn't make his own reeds and he is playing a chanter reed that is very old.

He liked the Herringbone vest I was wearing so much that I thinked he would have liked to have had it.

A living legend in my mind. I wish I could have played a couple with him. Oh well! Next time.

Cheers! Richard
teirw

Liam O'Flynn

Post by teirw »

There is some biographical information, in the form of interviews, on The Pipers Call video. The interviews with the man himself give a good illustration of his character. Such a relief from the overbearing self-importance of many in a similarly well-known position. One of natures gentlemen.
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

met him after his gig soooome years ago here in Finland , nice person indeed.