Sheffield Club visit to Medir

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
teirw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sheffield Club visit to Medir

Post by teirw »

Some of the members of the Sheffield club recently visited the Medir factory in Spain. We were warmly welcomed and given a guided tour of the whole process by Ramon, who spent hours explaining everything and showing how they produce such excellent cane.We shared a superb Catalan meal in the evening with Mr and Mrs Carlos Medir and Ramon and came away with stocks of hand selected cane for each variety of reed. Brian Howard has been a customer for over 30 years and took the opportunity of this visit to show them how a full set of uilleann pipes ,reeded with their cane, sounded live. Wherever we played we received a real welcome and the reeds being made since our return are really singing sweetly. They are lovely people and their quality control is so good that the cane is really outstanding for our purposes ( along with all the classical instrumentalists who have known about them for years.)Image The picture shows Brian Howard playing his full set for Carlos Medir
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Great stuff. I'll bet is was a real treat for
Medir and Co. to see and hear exactly
what a good deal of their product goes
to.

I have been trying for the last 2 years to
get in touch with these guys, to date, no
response to my emails. I suppose there is
the language barrier and all. I guess I'll
give it another try.

Great photo... if a tad on the large size. :lol:

JES.
teirw

Medir cane

Post by teirw »

Hi Joseph,
Ramon speaks good English. You could try ringing on 34 972 318 119. Good luck and good reedmaking. The stuff I picked up from them gouges really well. ( for me that means easily! )Ramon was VERY paticular about when they cut and how they dry theirs.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Re: Medir cane

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

teirw wrote:Ramon was VERY paticular about when they cut and how they dry theirs.
That is very good to hear, and that is as it should be. I'll try getting ahold of them again in the near future.

Thanks. :)
Kilkee

Post by Kilkee »

I can say it for myself, the donax reed is of very good quality. I order by email in English. http://www.medir.org
The service is excellent. No complaints at all.

Notice the very fine full Howard set. Howard himself is playing.
Reed and set are made with very professional craftsmanship. The trip to Spain, I think it was a very original idea and to me it looked a very nice trip.