Tommy Reck & Pat Sky

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Tommy Reck & Pat Sky

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

For those interested in Tommy Reck's playing you might like to check out a photo I received from Pat Sky this morning. It's of Tommy and himself back in the 70's and by the looks of things they are working on tunes for The Stone In The Field recording. Great stuff!

www.UilleannObsession.com

Patrick.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Nice photo! Thanks for sharing!
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Very cool.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

for some reason I can't see the bottom of the photo. It opens in a pop-up box which is longer than my screen and I can only move it up by dragging the bar at the top but only until my cursor collides with the top of my screen, leaving me with Tommy cut off at the waist. Any ideas?
DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Bigger screen resolution should take care of it. Don't tell me you're a 800x600 person!

And now thanks to the magic of Photoshop (and a little time travel) Pat has a top for his ceann.

Patrick.
Last edited by Patrick D'Arcy on Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glands

Post by glands »

Ha....huh! Looks like the only thing different about Pat is you don't see him with the pipe too often these days. :wink:

Pat is a national treasure when it comes to Americans who were in the thick of the Folk and I-trad scene of the late great generation.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Bigger screen resolution should take care of it. Don't tell me you're a 800x600 person!

And now thanks to the magic of Photoshop (and a little time travel) Pat has a top for his ceann.

Patrick.
Matey....I'm a neanderthal 400mhz Celeron, 4.4gigabyte, dial-up internet, IE5, 800x600, windows98 (first edition) with an original microsoft wheel mouse person :D

DavidG
Joseph E. Smith

ausdag wrote:
Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Bigger screen resolution should take care of it. Don't tell me you're a 800x600 person!

Patrick.
Matey....I'm a neanderthal 400mhz Celeron, 4.4gigabyte, dial-up internet, IE5, 800x600, windows98 (first edition) with an original microsoft wheel mouse person :D

DavidG
Yikes!!! :shock: You ought to be displayed in the Chicago Field Museum of Natural History. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
ausdag wrote:

Patrick.

DavidG
Yikes!!! :shock: You ought to be displayed in the Chicago Field Museum of Natural History. :lol: :lol: :lol:
if you think that's historic...I still have an original Apple Macintosh - the one with the first mouse, first egg-timer icon, first 'windows'-type layout and all that...even the dot matrix printer still works. My dad bought it when they first came out - 1985 or something..:boggle: 'bout the same time I bought my Radio Shack TRS 80 to plug into the family TV :D

DavidG
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Great pic! How many modern pipers wear a tie while rehearsing?
Sorry to interrupt the embryonic geekfest.
billh

Post by billh »

Wow, corduroy and a turtleneck. Now that takes me back!
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I had just finished working on reeding Tommy's pipes a couple of days before and he showed up with a stack of manuscripts to jog his memory. Once we decided on the tunes, I recorded Tommy over a two day period, on a 2 track Nagra recorder, while he sat in a chair located in a stair well
(My emphasis) These are the sort of factors that the digitally remastered generation ought to bear in mind when they pontificate about older pipers.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Joseph E. Smith

Pat (and pardon my ignorance here if you haven't done so already but... ), you really ought to write your memoires down highlighting your experience with Ennis et al. I would pay pretty much any price for it, and I would certainly consider it a must read for any modern day piper. Does such a book exist?
Chadd

Post by Chadd »