FINALLY!!! Video from our concert with D. Power, June 2005

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Bill Reeder
antispam: No

Post by Bill Reeder »

Thanks, Marcus! I thought I really screwed up on the downloads.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Bill Reeder wrote:Thanks, Marcus! I thought I really screwed up on the downloads.
So did I at first, then checked if there was anything wrong with my winamp :D :D :D

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Rick

Post by Rick »

Haven't listened yet but..

concert clip 7 links to David-Power-Concert-7.wmv (which it should of course)

concert clip 8 links to Concert1.wmv

concert clip 9 links to Concert3.wmv

house session 1 links to Concert1.wmv

house session 2 links to David-Power-Concert-5.wmv

house session 3 links to Concert3.wmv

My question:
Is this how they are supposed to be linked and.., is there a concert2.wmv? :D

cheers for putting this online!
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

This is the URL's I get

Concert Clip x (1-7)
http://www.uilleann.org/Movies/David-Po ... cert-x.wmv

Concert Clip 8
http://www.uilleann.org/Movies/Concert1.wmv

Concert Clip 9
http://www.uilleann.org/Movies/Concert3.wmv

House session 1-3 (URL's are the same)
http://www.uilleann.org/Movies/Concert1.wmv

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Rick

Post by Rick »

I think it's very interesting we get different urls from the house session links Marcus. :)

Though this will probably ruin my day trying to figure out, why!? :lol:

Maybe the links were updated and yours load from cache? (i just visited there for the 1st time)

aargh, i can't stand this sort of thing. :wink:
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

Rick wrote:I think it's very interesting we get different urls from the house session links Marcus. :)

Though this will probably ruin my day trying to figure out, why!? :lol:

Maybe the links were updated and yours load from cache? (i just visited there for the 1st time)

aargh, i can't stand this sort of thing. :wink:

Hi Rick!
You just made me spend 30 min of my lunch on this I still cant find a good answer.

I rechecked the links and for a few seconds I saw the house session links you posted. Then they teurned into the concert1 link.

I cleared all cache and checked the links again with both FireFox and Explorer and they are all the same again (concert1).
:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

The source code says "href="Movies/Concert1.wmv" on all three links so I dont know how it could be displayed in any other way.
But I saw it the way you did even if it was just for a few secs.

Solve this one anyone :D

Maybe its Brian that just trying to give us hell?

/MarcusR
billh

Post by billh »

Yep, the links are a bit b0rked. Great stuff though! Oddly, tweaking the URIs doesn't work, i.e. Concert2.wmv doesn't seem to exist.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

They do not work for me. Everytime I have tried to view them, I get a monsterous page of symbols and gobblygook... no concert.
WallyS

Concert videos

Post by WallyS »

Great job Brian! Thanks for taking all the time to record, edit, compress, and place on website. You've set a new standard for local/regional tionols with visiting pipers. I hope many of them will allow their playing to be recorded and shared.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:What's with those titles? Looks like the Lord of the Dance is about to do a walk on.
So Kevin, did you split a good reed or something yesterday? We're not feakin Disney with millions to spend on putting videos together ya picky basmati! :really: When you move to SLC and join the group, you'll officially be in charge of all video production and web hosting how's that? :thumbsup:
Kevin L. Rietmann wrote: Braes of Busby after Road to Lisdoonvarna. That's "Dromore." The Air??? is Ur-Chnoc Chein Mhic Chainte...
Thanks at least for the tune names. Dramore or Dromore are both common spellings, just went with what came up more commonly from Google in that case.

As for the rest of you poor pipers...there was indeed some problems with the coding on the last few tracks. I think I was able to clean it all up this AM though. Sorry for that. Guess that's what happens when you spend 16+ hours in front of your computer trying to put video up on your website! :boggle:

I'll do my bets to get the tune names updated over the weekend. But for now, I gotta go rip my shirt off, oil up my bod and paint a blue trisk on my pec. Now where'd I leave my leather pants.... :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Brian Lee wrote: But for now, I gotta go rip my shirt off, oil up my bod and paint a blue trisk on my pec. Now where'd I leave my leather pants.... :lol:
You know, I could have lived my life out in full without having that suggested image stuck in my head. :D
Joseph E. Smith

gobbleygook wrote:0&²uŽfϦ٪bÎlT@¤ÐÒãÒ—ð É^¨P,Application>Windows Movie Maker 2.0.3312.0$WM/ParentalRatingWMFSDKVersion10.00.00.3646WMFSDKNeeded0.0.0.0000 IsVBR3&²uŽfϦ٪bÎl6David1¡Ü«ŒG©ÏŽäÀ Seh'ji¨8˽N±¡˜à0 ð®Lpà ¯GÐÅz Ài™xà¥xˆ¤¤I'µ¿_.©ÏŽãÀ Se[ÒÓ«º©ÏŽæÀ Se-©FC|àïüK²)9>ÞA\…' en-us]‹ñ&„EìGŸ_eRÉêËøů[wH„gªŒDúLÊb IsVBR4DeviceC

This is an example of what I get when I try to access the video clips. Any suggestions on how to get the videos?
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Tune titles aren't as important as the music... nor is post video production.
Brian, thanks for capturing this event.
David, thanks for the performance.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

The vids are in .wmv format Joe as are the rest of the vid and sound clips on the site. Have you tried a right click and save as? I can try to email them to you as well, though I'm not sure how well that might go - the files average about 5 megs each. Much smaller than that, and the sound and vid quality were getting pretty horrid.
billh

Post by billh »

Joseph:

Try "save link target" or whatever it's called in IE (I'm on Mozilla/Linux). There probably is a right-click menu of some kind you can use to save the file to disk. From there you can probably open them from inside Windows Media Player (File->Open etc.).

Sounds like either the "mime-type" is being incorrectly reported by the server, or your filetypes/viewers configuration is messed up on your machine or browser settings.

good luck

Bill

p.s. - BTW Brian, great job saving these in a format that is at least viewable using mplayer on Linux. It's all too easy to pick a highly-compressed format/codec that's useless outside of WinDoze. As you probably know, .WMV can consist of all sorts of different things under the hood.