On eBAY: Half Set Uilleann Pipes by Hughes & McLeod

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Starting bid:
GBP 1,400.00
(Approximately US $2,477.44)
Half set of Uilleann Pipes in concert D.
Chanter in African Blackwood. Drones in African Blackwood, on brass.
Goretex bag, efficient bellows.
Fully reeded by the maker and playing well.
Flight case included.
Payment by cheque or cash only, to be arranged at end of auction through seller.
I am relisting this item as it did not sell last time. Please contact me if you are at least interested, I am willing to negotiate. Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
I didn't realize eBay allowed for negotiations.
:roll:
cquick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

relisted pipes

Post by cquick »

I am surprized that the vendor's beginning price did not go down after he was unable to get the original price on the first listing?

Chuck
srfmowman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by srfmowman »

You are just asking for trouble with a seller that only takes cash or check. This could also be a hijacked relisting.
seanny

Post by seanny »

bidding has started - very surprised to see this as 1/2 sets seem to to start at around £600-800 and usually don't go for more than about £1000-1200
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

seanny wrote:very surprised to see this as 1/2 sets seem to to start at around £600-800 and usually don't go for more than about £1000-1200
It all depends on the maker.
PJ
Big Time

R Hughes pipes

Post by Big Time »

Hi all,

Just joined the forum.

I bought a set of Hughes pipes 15 or so years ago as he was quite well-known in ulster at the time. However, the pipes gave me trouble for every one of those years and my only saving grace was Eamonn Curran.

Just got delivery of a brand new Seth Gallagher full set yesterday and they're incredible.

... edited for content. -JES.
Big Time
Joseph E. Smith

Re: R Hughes pipes

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Peter Laban wrote:
Big Time wrote: ... deleted content... -JES.
I am coming out of fecking retitement for this: this is rubbish. Robbie's pipes are generally nicer than some that are consistently promoted on this forum. I had a C made by Hughes and McLeod for a few years during the early 80s that was always in perfect working order, regs and all. And I know of one very wellknown maker who copied the regs of his narrow bore D straight off a R. Hughes set because they were nice working and serviceable regs.
To add to this, I'd appreciate it if we all would refrain from knocking somebody's business/product. Big Time, you are new to this forum, so I can understand your being unaware of our posting policies. But I suggest that you read the FAQ FAQ FAQ at the top of the Uilleann Pipe Forum, in addition to the Anouncements at the top of the C&F forum index page.
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

ok point taken,

just my personal opinion and experiences haven't been great.

apologies.
Big Time
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Big Time wrote:ok point taken,

just my personal opinion and experiences haven't been great.

apologies.
Opinons are fine. However, it is a tricky business when commenting on somebody's business or livelyhood. Inviting a flame war, or (especially) a lawsuit is something the board administrators would like to avoid... as would I.
billh

Post by billh »

seanny wrote:bidding has started - very surprised to see this as 1/2 sets seem to to start at around £600-800 and usually don't go for more than about £1000-1200
Better recalibrate your price-ometer; new 1/2 sets are usually considerably more than you're suggesting.
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

:x

sorry to have gotton off on the wrong foot on the forum. i'll make sure to keep my more controversial opinions to myself in future.

apologies again for causing offence to anyone.
Big Time
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

It's not a matter of keeping you opinions to yourself, it's a matter of expressing yourself properly (something that I am still working on, too).

Saying "Hughes sucks" is absolutely wrong, completely inappropriate.

Saying "I didn't like the set I had by Hughes. I found it took a lot of effort to keep it playing" is (to me anyway) acceptable. And that's what you'll find if you read the Annoucements section and look at what Dale Wisely (the owner and creator, with Rich, of all of these fora) posted there.
djm

Post by djm »

I, too, had negative experiences with the quality of workmanship and materials with a Robbie Hughes half-set. The chanter was fine, but the rest of the set had a lot of problems that cost me a lot to have fixed by another pipemaker.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
BigDavy

Hughes and Mcleod Half Set

Post by BigDavy »

I believe that this set is one that I heard played at Moniave folk festival earlier this year.

If this is the case then both Uilliam and I can vouch that the set is well made and sounds nice, the chanter is in tune with itself and has a mellow sound. The drones work well and are nicely balanced with the chanter.

The person who buys this set should have no regrets over his purchase.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps