Yes & No Answers Only Please

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Yes or no?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 49

Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I bet Royce is lurking around somewhere's here, that Mexican prison piper post sounded quite like him.
ausdag wrote:funny thing is, after a year or so on this forum, as an isolated learner I haven't really learned much more than I had in the pre-internet days when it was down to reading An Piobaire and similar pubs, the odd phone conversation with my pipemaker, and listening to records and going to sessions and gigs. Still, the craic's been (mostly) good.

Cheers,

DavidG
Glad to hear it. Image

If you search for a given topic you'll learn an awful lot about pipes. Save the files and print them out and you'll have an excellent book to hand.
I'm using the RSS feeds on this site in conjunction with Firefox's Add Live Bookmark extension, you can see what the topics are and who's posting on them. Saves a lot of pointless reading.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

There's a load of info in the archives, certainly enough for some adventuresome web-addicted young piping student to research and write something about... and perhaps make a couple of bob in the process.

C'mon Royce, you've been lurking and silent for long enough (that is, as yourself and not a substitute 'super-alter-ego-identity'.... which reminds me, how has the drone reed cane worked out so far? I got more, let me know if you... uh... hang on, I think someone's watching....... ) don't you think it is time to chime in?

... edited to change 'drome to 'drone.
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:
Glad to hear it. Image

If you search for a given topic you'll learn an awful lot about pipes. Save the files and print them out and you'll have an excellent book to hand.
I'm using the RSS feeds on this site in conjunction with Firefox's Add Live Bookmark extension, you can see what the topics are and who's posting on them. Saves a lot of pointless reading.

Well that was kind of my point. I'm sure there's a lot of good information, but after one has filtered out all the dubious stuff, there's not much more than was previously available. Add to that, 90% of the good stuff is repeated stuff. Whittle that down and you could probably reproduce the insights on this forum in a single issue of An Piobaire.

But as I say - the craic's been good, and there is always the possibiltiy of learning yet more, so I'm not rubbishing the forum, just saying it as I see it.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

One o the main reasons I stopped contributing to this forum was the utter rubbish being put up as fact by some and then getting slagged for correcting them....
I disagree with Ausdag in as much that I can honestly say that I have learned a thing or two frae this forum ,and as Patrick rightly put it,am always learning something new.....and more to the point willing to learn something new from my day to day dealing in UPs.I don't think ye ever stop learning,even if its just a new tune or a new twist to an old one...that is the end result of the instrument after all...
No, Patrick had the balls to say it like it is,and good on him for that....I particulary agree with the observation that there appears to be an amazing genetic leap in the learning curve o some o ye's ...frae rubbish to regulators in a day it seems :boggle:
So "oi'll give it foive" sorry wrang programme..I vote YES
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Uilliam wrote: I disagree with Ausdag in as much that I can honestly say that I have learned a thing or two frae this forum
'ang on, 'ang on......I never said I hadn't learnt anything. I said I hadn't learnt much more than what I could learn from the old ways of getting information. There's a real subtle difference there but it's a big one if you read it carefully. Otherwise I'd be guilty of throwing all the good will that members have shown me by answering my questions back in their faces, and I in no way mean to do that. Back in the 90's information was gathered a lot more slowly, but it came from very reliable sources and didn't require wading through piles and piles of misinformation and dribble form those who like the sound of their own...umm....keyboards.... to get at it. Ts'all I'm saying.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Gio

Post by Gio »

I think that creating a thread espetially for newbs would be a great idea... That will be : frequently asked questions on uillean pipes... so sth like FAQ-U :P :P
It was proper Bo', I tell thee!
myrddinemrys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Re: Yes & No Answers Only Please

Post by myrddinemrys »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:I would like to suggest that this board only allow the answers YES and NO from now on.

It would be one way to contribute to eliminating the complete jibberish and absolute lack of knowledge some people continually come up with - misguiding new members and making old ones wonder why these people think they know so effing much without any sort of experience or real knowledge of the instrument and its music.

Only members that are approved by a panel elected by Joefus Smyth can write more on a topic.

Do you agree? Cast your vote.

Patrick.
Oh, please! This is absolutely ridiculous. Personally, I find this offensive. This is a forum, for crying out loud; it is designed for OPEN discussion. I though serious discussion was only in tionols. Personally, I like to BS. My vote is no.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

"Get off the internet and practice for an hour each night."

--Mr. Wooff
danny

Post by danny »

mr darcy, you are right, there alot of people who talk b=ll=cks on this forum :lol:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

josh perkins wrote:"Get off the internet and practice for an hour each night."

--Mr. Wooff
Hmmm... OK.
PJ
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

myrddinemrys wrote: Personally, I find this offensive. .

:really: Patrick didnae mention ye by name did he? so why are ye taking this personally? :boggle:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam :wink:
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Uilliam wrote:
myrddinemrys wrote: Personally, I find this offensive. .

:really: Patrick didnae mention ye by name did he? so why are ye taking this personally? :boggle:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam :wink:
yeah, I suppose. :) I guess I was irritable yesterday.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Me too ;)
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

Any piping MDs here?

Is there such a thing as irritable bellows syndrome?

:)

Mike
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Yes!