chanter and drones from differents makers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Birl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

chanter and drones from differents makers

Post by Birl »

Hi,
I have a practice set and i would to upgrade it to a half set soon.
What do you think about using drones from a different maker ?
And do you know "couple" wich work particulary well ?
(I play an Arhpa practice set)
Cheers !
:)
May the "Nyyaaa" be with you !
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've a mixed set and I'm perfectly happy with it. Thompson chanter and Whitmer drones. The Thompson chanter is widebore and loud. The Whitmer drones blend nicely. I think the main thing to watch is that the drones are not too loud or the chanter is not too quiet.

I had a look at the Arhpa website. They make a Rowsome type chanter, like Thompson, so I imagine your chanter is loud enough and you won't have problems with drones being louder than the chanter.
PJ
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

its fine to use chanters and drones from different makers, i have a gallagher half set and an extra chanter by preshaw. the preshaw chanter actually sounds as good or better than the gallagher chanter with the gallagher drones.
however, you should not do it cold. drones which are on the louder side will not sound great with a quiet chanter, quiet either because of its instrinsic dimensions or how it is reeded. the other bad news is that you cannot tell yourself unless you are very experienced (far more so than me, for example). drones always sound louder to the player. you have to have someone who knows what UP should sound like listening from some distance in the same room.
So, you should not buy cold. i am not familiar with your chanter but the previous poster is and he has given you one combo that will work. the best would be if you could possibly visit the drone maker with your chanter and decide together. failing that. see if you can get the drones on a trial basis or try your chanter with other peoples drones at a pipers meeting.
it is worth going to the trouble. drones are expensive- typically more than an unkeyed chanter from the same maker, or the same as a chanter with upgrades (keys, cutoff valve, wood windcap, etc).

the best makers in the world are known for the expectional balance between the drones, chanter and regs, but at the level of having a practice set and upgrading to a half set, i believe the above advice and that of PJ is valid
hope that helps

meir
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Is there any basic rule about how much louder than the drones a chanter should be?
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I think the only rule is that the drones should not drown-out the chanter. Obviously you should be able to hear them. It's about balance.
PJ
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

If your playing kinda stinks, you will want your drones to be very loud... :lol:
If you can make Uilleann Pipes, you deserve to.
Bruce Childress 2004
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

texasbagpiper wrote:If your playing kinda stinks, you will want your drones to be very loud... :lol:
Hey, I resemble......I mean resent......that remark!
Birl

Post by Birl »

thank you for those advices,
I will brind my chanter throughout the world to choose the drones :D ,
going to start my trip in Saint Chartier ...
Cheers !
May the "Nyyaaa" be with you !
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

WannabePiper wrote:Is there any basic rule about how much louder than the drones a chanter should be?
Nope. Some makers I know of prefer to produce quieter drones than would generally be accepted as 'balanced'. Some people, makers and players, don't like having full-bodied GHB-sounding drones blaring away, but prefer a more subtle presence behind the chanter. I prefer a full sounding drone, particularly as I don't have regs, it helps to fill out the sound.

As long as your drones aren't louder than the chanter as already mentioned previously.

I had a practice set with a full-sounding chanter but wanted drones from a different maker and was told Eugene Lambe makes full-sounding sets so I got a set of drones from him. Nice for the price at that time and complement my chanter well.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

Do the patrick murray chanters have full blocks for keys.... Anybody got a picture of one of these chanters...
If you can make Uilleann Pipes, you deserve to.
Bruce Childress 2004