pipers who play flute?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Eldarion wrote:Willie Clancy, Peadar O'Loughlin..
JC Talty, Michael Falsey, Martin Talty, Sean Talty, Padraig Macmathuna.

could list a heap more, but the bottomline is a lot of people play instruments as second or third instrument without making much of a fuss about it. Seamus Ennis was a decent fluteplayer too by the way.
Birl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Birl »

You can guess that a flute player is also piper by looking is fingers :
if he (or she) plays with the second phallanges of both hands, he/she might be a piper (or a low whistler ...)
but the real difficulty with flute is not more the fingering than the blow technique, and that's a challenge for a piper ! :wink:
May the "Nyyaaa" be with you !
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Peter Laban wrote:Seamus Ennis was a decent fluteplayer too by the way.
Fiddle too, or so I've heard.
PJ
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

PJ wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:Seamus Ennis was a decent fluteplayer too by the way.
Fiddle too, or so I've heard.
Our dear friend from Brockville also plays flute, so I've seen last Wednesday. :wink:

upiper71
djm

Post by djm »

PJ wrote:Fiddle too, or so I've heard.
Both Ennis and Clancy claimed to be able to play fiddle. I have read that Clancy was the better fiddler of the two, but don't recall ever hearing a recording of Clancy on fiddle. I have, however, heard Ennis on fiddle, and it was woeful. :roll:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

djm wrote:I have, however, heard Ennis on fiddle, and it was woeful. :roll:
Oh you're definately going to piper hell for that one.
PJ
mukade

Post by mukade »

I started on the whistle, moved to the pipes, then took up the flute a couple of years later because someone gave me a decent wooden flute for free.

I think the flute is just as challenging as the pipes.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

I hav'nt heard of Patsy Touhy or Johnny Doran having played flutes? maybe they did but we hav'nt heard much about it,
another piper i hav'nt heard playing flute is Paddy Keenan, although he may be well able to, as he is a very good whistle player.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Johnny Doran did well in several whistle competitions (I have heard from people who played 'against' him there) he may well have played the flute too.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

glinjack wrote:I hav'nt heard of Patsy Touhy or Johnny Doran having played flutes? maybe they did but we hav'nt heard much about it,
another piper i hav'nt heard playing flute is Paddy Keenan, although he may be well able to, as he is a very good whistle player.
I have played Paddy's flute, though I haven't heard him play it himself.

I'm pretty sure I saw Seamus Egan playing pipes years ago at a festival; he was quite good although I don't think he kept it up.
djm

Post by djm »

Yes, Egan plays/played UPs. He started off as a sort of wunderkind, playing all instruments in a group with his siblings.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

Peter Laban wrote:Johnny Doran did well in several whistle competitions (I have heard from people who played 'against' him there) he may well have played the flute too.
Thank you Peter for the info on Johnny Doran, I also heard from an old timer onetime that when johnny made reeds for his pipes, he would make an amount of reeds at one time, and was very good at reed making,and i also heard his brother Felix (although well able to make good reeds himself) was using reeds made by Johnny many years after johnny passed away,
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

Bradhurley wrote
"I have played Paddy's flute, though I haven't heard him play it himself."
thank you Brad, was the flute a good sounding instrument, a keyed flute, an older one or a flute by a modern maker.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

glinjack wrote: thank you Brad, was the flute a good sounding instrument, a keyed flute, an older one or a flute by a modern maker.
It was an antique flute, French if I remember correctly, and while I didn't find it a very strong player it did have its charms and a nice sound.
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

iust heard that Jerry O Sullivan plays a flute now, I know he plays the whistle
including the low whistle but now he also plays the flute, a Seth gallagher flute i think, I hav'nt met Jerry in many years . Great piper.