'The Beehive Set' for sale in Ireland...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

Just thought other pipers should know so that hopefully a playing piper will buy the set. From the NPU new site:

"Full set by Kenna c1800. 'The Beehive set.' Pitched in C. Boxwood and ivory and brass with three regulators. Offers." Contact Mal White 01 8554745

If anyone knows anything about the set, please post it here. All I have heard is that it is a lovely set, has a creative solution to the bass regulator and no one is really sure if it was made by Kenna. Does anyone else know anything else or has anyone heard the set played?

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
tok

Post by tok »

Hello I am posting for the first time. I thought mabey the beehive set was mentioned in O'niells musicians and minstrels. Or wasn't it popular in the fiftys ? Ha . good luck !!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The Beehive set is called the beehive [we made the name up as a joke really] because of the unusual shape of the mounts, it looks very oriental.
It is not a wellknown set as such.

I know the set quite well, Mal showed it to me first during the early 80s and it has been sitting in a box under Geoff Wooff's workbench for the past twelve years and I have handled it often during that time.
Mal Whyte bought the set in an antique shop before 1971 when he came to Clare to learn the pipes off Willie Clancy [who as Mal put it, soon after 'died on him'].
It's a great conversation piece, and for looks one of my favourites.
I have a series of 45x60mm slides of the I took twelve years ago. Very detailed but I have no way of scanning them for you. The chanter is stamped Kenna, Dublin with the usual shamrock.

The design of the mounts is totally unique and for this reason alone it would be best if the set was aquired by an institution like the National Museum of Ireland an kept there for people to look at.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-05-31 05:34 ]</font>
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Peter, are there any photo processing studios you can mail the slides to? or perhaps a computer shop that has a scanner that can scan slides?
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Peter --

Thanks for giving us your opinion on the pipes. I appreciate being able to hear from someone who has had the opportunity to play them.

Dionys

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dionys on 2002-06-01 21:24 ]</font>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Dionys check private msgs