New Zealand Tionol: Great Fun!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
L42B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Zealand Tionol: Great Fun!

Post by L42B »

Hi Everyone,

Back from the New Zealand Tionol that was held in Nelson last week. From the lessons and experience, including some helpfull and informative comments from Mikie Smyth. I needed to work on the following:

a) Rythem. Having a bad rythem is not a good thing. This is something I seriously need to work on! I was giving the tune "Within A Mile of Dublin" and "The Dusty Miller" to work on ('cause of the above reason).

b) I need to find some more commonly played session tunes for the pipes.

c) Posture. No wonder I get seriouse RSI from playing the pipes.

With that in mind I've been working on those points thouroly.

I met some very good pipers at the Tionol and one of them had a Rowsome set (lucky man). It had a great sound. The pipes were recently refurbished by Benedict Koaler. He did a spectacular job.

One of the pipers I met at the Tionol is a regular reeder of this forum. Had subsequently made his chanter (his 5) which had a great sound. You've done a good job. So hopefully this post will encourage a reply.

I was dissapointed to see that not many of the Australian contingent turned up this year. So hopefully there will be some more Ozzie pipers over there next year.

For those pipers in isolation. A Tionol is a great way to learn some valuable information on this instrument. It also allows you to meet up with some pipers that live in and around your area. You also get to learn some things that a book or video will never teach you.

Cheers L42B :)

PS: Mikie Smyth was very impressed with my Mackenzie chanter.
ausdag

Re: New Zealand Tionol: Great Fun!

Post by ausdag »

L$@B...opsss...L42B,

Sounds like you had a good time......
L42B wrote:
c) Posture. No wonder I get seriouse RSI from playing the pipes.
What specifically do he say about posture? - I'd be keen to know.
L42B wrote: The pipes were recently refurbished by Benedict Koaler. He did a spectacular job.
That's 'koehler' I think. :)
L42B wrote:
One of the pipers I met at the Tionol is a regular reeder of this forum. Had subsequently made his chanter (his 5) which had a great sound. You've done a good job. So hopefully this post will encourage a reply.
Thanks...opsss..no...couldn't have been me..I wasn't in NZ. :D
L42B wrote: I was dissapointed to see that not many of the Australian contingent turned up this year. So hopefully there will be some more Ozzie pipers over there next year.
I's like to....what did it end up costing you all up - travel, accommodation and all? If you don't mind me asking? Money's a bit tight round ere.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

ausdag wrote: That's 'koehler' I think. :)
Almost. It's "Koehler."
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

DMQuinn wrote:
Almost. It's "Koehler."
Your both wrong It's "Koehler

RORY
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

rorybbellows wrote:
DMQuinn wrote:
Almost. It's "Koehler."
Your both wrong It's "Koehler

RORY
Dang..oh well, so close.... :D
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
L42B

Post by L42B »

Hi Ausdag,

Expense wasn't to bad. They normally chose to stay in a backpackers hostel to keep costs to a minimum. Lunch is often provided. The next Tionol will probably be held in Otakie (North Island). If so meals are included on sight.

However since I was travelling with family we decided to stay in an apartment. Shakespere Cottage set us back about $NZ 150 a night which was resonable. The cottage was self contained so it allowed us to cook our own food.

Some nights we had dinner with the group. Food was cheap in comparison to Australia. A main course in a nice restaurant would set you back about NZ $15.00, drinks NZ $3.00 [there abouts].

Flights. Pacific Blue (a subsidary of Virgin Blue Airlines) costed us about AU$500.00 each on a connecting flight. Its probably less if you go direct from Brisbane.

Cheers L42B :)
PS: When we were there one Australian doller brought NZ $1.15