What's your favorite wood for Pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Douglas, choose the bottom option, copy it, and then paste it in your message field. It doesn't need an 'img' in fron or back of it. But, you may wish to decrease the size of the photo before posting it. 500 pixels ought to do it.
Douglas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Douglas »

Ok. See if this works.

PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Very nice!! :o
PJ
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Well, I offered David a lot of money for one like that a couple years ago, but I guess it wasn't enough. I couldn't go more than $18,500 in good conscience. Mine was a B ¾ set in 3 different kinds of wood; Chanter of Ziricote, drones of Boxwood, and regs of Pear. If anyone knows the whereabouts of that set, I'd be glad to buy it back in a couple of months when my ship comes in.

This photo above was posted by Quinn last year, I believe. How can you forget a photo like that. Beautiful.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Lorenzo wrote:I couldn't go more than $18,500 in good conscience.
:boggle: :o :-? :cry: :tantrum: :shock: :really:
PJ
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Well, you never know for what it takes for sure to get a good set nowdays...
may as well test the makers/owners weak areas. :wink:
PJ

Post by PJ »

Note to self: Never play poker with Lorenzo :wink:
PJ
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

I have no recollection of Lorenzo, or anyone else for that matter, offering me $18,500 for a set of pipes of any kind of wood whatsoever. Perhaps I am not the David he refers to? A couple of people have tried to bribe BK and me to advance them to the head of the queue, but to be honest, the reason we turned them down had more to do with the size of the proffered bribe than with our sterling morals.

We closed the list almost five years ago, when we reckoned there was about four years' work ahead of us. I have never been very good at making a realistic estimate of how long a job is going to take. We have been chipping away at the backlog, but taking on new work, even at rates inflated by palm-greasing, only postpones the work we've already committed ourselves to. So, we don't do it, as a rule. Inflation marches on, and we are still making pipes at prices we set more than four years ago.

It might be interesting to note that the mopane set which Douglas has a picture of was sold for less than a third of the amount Lorenzo mentioned. Nobody offered $18,500 for it, but someone did offer the first number I mentioned. You'd think I'd learn.

A half set in mopane. Chanter and drones split up and went separate ways.

A set of drones in ziricote. I've always liked the way this wood sounds
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

DMQuinn wrote:I have no recollection of Lorenzo, or anyone else for that matter, offering me $18,500 for a set of pipes of any kind of wood whatsoever.
Ah, forgive me. The opening offer was only $8,000. Still, I couldn't have gone more than $18,500 in good conscience. :D

see the offer...
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ane#190742

I believe it was the Reverend Patrick D'Arcy that started the bribe rumors...sending extra $$$$, beer, etc. to your pipemaker to keep him in good cheer.
L42B

Post by L42B »

Orriginaly Posted By Lorenzo
[Name ommited ;)] that started the bribe rumors...sending extra $$$$, beer...
Bribe rumours who'd think that pipering world could seek so low :shock: :poke: :really: :lol:. But seriously though a very nice set David. What tree does mopane come from? My set is made from Lancewood and has a wonderfull mellow tone but still has a brightness quality.

Cheers L42B :D
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

L42B wrote: Bribe rumours who'd think that pipering world could seek so low ... . But seriously though a very nice set David. What tree does mopane come from? My set is made from Lancewood and has a wonderfull mellow tone but still has a brightness quality.

Cheers L42B :D
I had always assumed that it came from the mopane tree, but in fact all I know about it is that it is from Africa.

I'm happy to do your googling for you, though. Here's a site that lays it all out:
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/colomopane.htm

This also provides the reassuring information that mopane pipes are safe from termites.

Lorenzo wrote:Ah, forgive me. The opening offer was only $8,000. Still, I couldn't have gone more than $18,500 in good conscience.

see the offer...
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ane#190742
Ah... It was $8K... Please see my earlier post.
I couldn't have taken $18,500 in good conscience, either, since the chanter was tried and found wanting.
Lorenzo wrote:I believe it was the Reverend Patrick D'Arcy that started the bribe rumors...sending extra $$$$, beer, etc. to your pipemaker to keep him in good cheer.
Would the Reverend Father D'Arcy please submit a full list of the money, alcohol or other items forwarded to K&Q as bribes?
PJ

Post by PJ »

I've never seen a chanter with holes like these. Can anyone give some information on how they work? Also, where did the idea come from - K&Q or someone else?
PJ
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

PJ wrote: I've never seen a chanter with holes like these. Can anyone give some information on how they work? Also, where did the idea come from - K&Q or someone else?
The holes work the same way tone holes on any other chanter work. Perhaps you're confused by the black spots above and below each of the right-hand holes. These are small ebony studs which serve as tactile guides to help fingers coarsened by years of hard manual labor to find the right positions.
PJ

Post by PJ »

They're studs? I thought they were holes, for half-holing or sliding or something. Good idea - I presume that means there's no need to scallop the hole. Thanks.
PJ
PJ

Post by PJ »

DMQuinn wrote:A couple of people have tried to bribe BK and me to advance them to the head of the queue
I know this suggestion will outrage the GOP pipers, but why not let one's piping skill determine their place on the list? "To each according to his needs" ! If someone wants to order a set of pipes, they audition and their place on the list is determined according to how good they. :-?
PJ