On eBay - Used Uilleann Pipes Half Set in D by BC Childress

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jim McGuire

On eBay - Used Uilleann Pipes Half Set in D by BC Childress

Post by Jim McGuire »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 34083&rd=1

From the listing "This is a 'Half set' of Uilleann Pipes (Irish Bagpipes) Made by BC Childress in 2002. It is in African Blackwood and brass with Sambar stag mounts and 4 chanter keys. Although the set shows cosmetic signs of being quite frequently played by the original owner, it is in excellent and comfortable playing condition, having been worked on by the maker. This set of pipes will come with a plastic-shelled rifle case as a carrying case. It also has a "quick-connect" adapter on the blowpipe which makes it a secure and fast means of connecting. "
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: On eBay - Used Uilleann Pipes Half Set in D by BC Childr

Post by ausdag »

Jim McGuire wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 34083&rd=1

From the listing.... "It also has a "quick-connect" adapter on the blowpipe which makes it a secure and fast means of connecting. "
Quicker than the traditional method of simply pushing the tubes together??
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
brianc

Post by brianc »

:lol: Aus

Sure, for when you're asked play in an emergency.

:lol:
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

brianc wrote::lol: Aus

In addition to being a 'quick-connect' adapter, it is also a 'quick-disconnect' adapter....just in case you suddenly become the target of 'session-hungry' Bodhran players and need to 'get out of Dodge' in a hurry!!! :lol: :lol:
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

The Childress sets I've owned had a hemp wrapped metal sleeve pressed into the end of the hose that plugged directly into a hole in the wooden bellows clapper. Nothing fancy and it worked well. The best part was the low profile when packing the bellows into a gun case. Most setups have an angled metal fitting that the hose is always attached to. The connection is made on the bag side.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:In addition to being a 'quick-connect' adapter, it is also a 'quick-disconnect' adapter....just in case you suddenly become the target of 'session-hungry' Bodhran players and need to 'get out of Dodge' in a hurry!!! :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

This set looks nice. I played a 3/4 BC set recently and was impressed. Unfortunately I've just committed to buying new drones to add to my practice set and won't be able to bid on this one. I suspect that the reserve is somewhere between $2000 and $2500. Still, I don't think you can go wrong with a BC set (and by the way, I've never even met the man).
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

brianc wrote::lol: Aus

Joseph E. Smith wrote: In addition to being a 'quick-connect' adapter, it is also a 'quick-disconnect' adapter....just in case you suddenly become the target of 'session-hungry' Bodhran players and need to 'get out of Dodge' in a hurry!!! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: guys :lol: :lol: I thought it may have been a requirement of the local county Fire Department's Fire Safety Standards...

"Station 51, Squad 51.....we have a male person discovered strapped into an unknown contraption still trying to make it out from behind the bar of the hotel you extinguished last week. Please return to scene to lend him a hand."
Last edited by ausdag on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Tony wrote:The Childress sets I've owned had a hemp wrapped metal sleeve pressed into the end of the hose that plugged directly into a hole in the wooden bellows clapper. Nothing fancy and it worked well. The best part was the low profile when packing the bellows into a gun case. Most setups have an angled metal fitting that the hose is always attached to. The connection is made on the bag side.
My Jefferies bellows is much like that, makes it easy to pack the bellows into small back packs for travelling - as I did - to Indonesia - bag and bellows in back pack, half-set of pipes dismantled and stuffed into cardboard postal tube.

Cheers,

DavidG
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Reserve met - now at $2170 - 2 days to go.
brianc

Post by brianc »

"Item location: Acton, Maine "

Seller information
bcpipes6pfr ( 2 )

Does this mean that Bruce himself is selling this set? Or just a buyer of the set who also happens to live in Acton, Maine?

Regardless, BC's price list shows a half set going for $2,525, with a wait time of just over 2 years.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I imagine that if Bruce is selling this set (and it looks to me like he is), it'll be in tip top condition, ready for a second home and playable out of the rifle case.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It also looks like the chanter has 4 keys. That would explain the reserve.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I believe this set is for sale by Bruce himself. Acton's a small town and as far as I know, he's the sole piper there. A friend of mine mentioned that he had a set for sale that he'd reconditioned. I not only am too poor, but also still in the practicing long notes and scales only stage. I did go down to his shop a while back and the set does look familiar.
Corin
bcpipes

Post by bcpipes »

Heya all,

Yes, that was me selling the set. I did it as a favor for a guy in Alaska, who was not plugged into the piping (and internet) loop well enough to do it effectively on his own. I can say this, the set having been sold now: I just kinda like to keep quiet about auctions til it's over.

Thank you all for your interest, indeed.

Cheers,
BC