Uilleann Pipes on Ebay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Fergmaun
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Uilleann Pipes on Ebay

Post by Fergmaun »

ullian pipes practise set

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WD1V

ullian pipes full set

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WD1V

Who do you think made these Uilleann pipes.
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Wow! A real livid red UP bag cover - as used by Santa Claus. Very professional! :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

They're not Uilleann Pipes, they're Ullian pipes. Can't you read? ;) They look exactly like a Pakistani set and are probably about as useful as a stick.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

They are both Pakistani pipes.
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Fergus
I can tell you who made them. A gang of lads in a town to the northwest of India.
I actually have one of those chanters on my kitchen table at the moment. Some one gave it to me to reed. Actualy the workmanship is not bad at all but the measurements are arseways. The throat is not drilled out right at all so I had to fiddle with staple lenghts and I'd to figure where the throat base would be so I knew how far in the reed could go.
I got it going eventually.
They're not horrible but for that price go to Pat Sky or David Daye. You'll get something much more reliable.
Tommy
Chris Bayley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Chris Bayley »

Tom
Living near Hobgoblin I get to see a few of these and can confirm that they are definately made from somewhere a long way East of Dublin - recently most have had the tone holes positioned for a 14.25" / 14.5" chanter but have around 0.5" missing from the bottom end making the chanter ever so slightly sharp on the bottom D ! :boggle:
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Chris,
You're dead right! I had to shove a wad of paper in the bell to get it in tune. The amount needed resulted in a gurgle in the D. I took some out and then moved the metal (aluminium?) ferrell down about a half an inch which kind of worked. Looks gankey though. As I said the workman ship in very nice indeed. They look a lot better than the other Kirk Lynch based Pakistani pipes and the turning is finer too. If some one would give them proper measurements they wouldn't be a bad "budget" option but for now I'd steer clear. Anyway, I wouldn't like to see lads like yourself Chris and other fine makers out of work. :wink:
Tommy
brianc

Post by brianc »

Dionys wrote:...probably about as useful as a stick.

Dionys

Oh, I don't know... I think the bellows would be useful as a fireplace tool... you know, to keep the embers burning hot when you throw that 'stick' on the fire.

:wink:
Greg Schnider

Post by Greg Schnider »

djm wrote:Wow! A real livid red UP bag cover - as used by Santa Claus. Very professional! :lol:

djm
Hey! What's wrong with a red bag cover? :D

Greg
djm

Post by djm »

Greg wrote:Hey! What's wrong with a red bag cover?
Nothing, as long as it doesn't clash with your nail polish. :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

djm wrote:
Greg wrote:Hey! What's wrong with a red bag cover?
Nothing, as long as it doesn't clash with your nail polish. :lol:

djm
Or your green hair!! :lol: :lol:
Hallion

Hobgoblin half set

Post by Hallion »

How are yous getting on?

I bought a half set of Gremlin pipes about 6 months ago and, when reeded properly, play quite well.

It seems to me that some people are intent on putting these pipes down without ever trying them. Fair enough, Gremlin pipes over 2 years old are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. However, the newer ones really do work and play in tune.

If you are looking seriously at buying these pipes make sure they were made this year at least. Models made in the last 3 or 4 months come with a keyed chanter but I have heard no reports as to how good, or bad, they may be.

Slan,

Maitiú

Beal Feirste
Contae Aontroma
Eire
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Re: Hobgoblin half set

Post by Tony »

Hallion wrote:How are yous getting on?

I bought a half set of Gremlin pipes about 6 months ago and, when reeded properly, play quite well.

It seems to me that some people are intent on putting these pipes down without ever trying them. Fair enough, Gremlin pipes over 2 years old are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. However, the newer ones really do work and play in tune.

If you are looking seriously at buying these pipes make sure they were made this year at least. Models made in the last 3 or 4 months come with a keyed chanter but I have heard no reports as to how good, or bad, they may be.

Slan,

Maitiú

Beal Feirste
Contae Aontroma
Eire

After 10+ years of turning out less than acceptable pipes they are finally improving quality? If what you say is true... that's great.
However, unless a newbie piper can get the instrument reeded and setup by an experienced pipemaker/reedmaker/piper to prove it's ability to play, it's still a crapshoot getting a good instrument.