Half set on eBay with Gallagher chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Half set on eBay with Gallagher chanter

Post by Tony »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=16226
opening bid $100 on a Patrick Sky drones with Gallagher chanter.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

If I didn't already have a D 1/2 set, I would definately bid.

I have a Galagher C chanter (I didn't like his reed, though, so I had to make one I liked) and Pat Sky mainstock and drones (ditto on his reeds, I am never satisfied with pipe makers reeds as shipped except for David Daye's chanter reeds) and they sound great. Too bad the band can't play in the no-sharps modes.....

If you got the itch, this sounds like a good scratch for it!
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

Can someone tell me why I don't like the looks of these Sky drones?

LarryM's Stephenson pipes on eBay look a whole lot better to me.
Wonder where the chanter is for this set?
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Hi Lorenzo

I can answer your question.

I initially bought a practice set from Davy. I then ordered the half set and a narrow bore D chanter. The idea was to use the Concert D chanter from my practice set on the half set, and the narrow bore chanter on the practice set.

After waiting months Davy failed to deliver on the narrow bore chanter, therefore I cannot sell a chanter which I do not have!!

Glad you like the pipes.

Hope your keeping well by the way.

Best regards

Larry
Last edited by LarryM on Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

PS The chanter from my practice set is a good one, and I want to hold onto my practice set in the meantime.

I might at a later date try selling the whole caboodle as a single lot, practice set & half set complete with chanter.

I think the biggest lesson I ever learned in Uilleann Pipes is research your makers thoroughly before you buy. Make sure you buy from a maker who can and will deliver the goods as promised. No point in getting a nice set of quality pipes if the maker cannot be relied upon to back up his sales and workmanship!!.

There is too much money at stake to deal with comedians.

I have been waiting a year for a promised bass drone reed which I know never will arrive! I would never have anything to do with this maker again in the future. However I would point out this is only my personal view and experience after making substantial sales with this maker.

At the end of the day it's for individual pipers to make their own decision as to which maker they buy from.

If I do it all again..(and I probably will given time) Andreas Rogge would now be my first choice of maker! However thanks to Anima and others on this forum I am interested in learning more about Kirk Lynch pipes!

What are you playing now Lorenzo? Still those beautiful pipes you sent me pictures of?

Larry
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

LarryM wrote:
No point in getting a nice set of quality pipes if the maker cannot be relied upon to back up his sales and workmanship!!.

There is too much money at stake to deal with comedians.
From what I've heard of late Davys not been having a good time. Time to quit bashing the man while he's down.

Alan
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

LarryM wrote:PS I think the biggest lesson I ever learned in Uilleann Pipes is research your makers thoroughly before you buy. Make sure you buy from a maker who can and will deliver the goods as promised.

Larry
Even better, although it might seem to be a tougher action to execute, is to buy an existing set, one that you can try before final commitment of hard earned cash.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Oooop!!! Alan I shoud have rephrased that comment, it was'nt directed about Davy I meant comedians in the general sense, although on re-reading it, it could be mis-interperated!!! Sorry!!

Yes Jim I agree wholeheartedly, I think thats good advice. On quality I still think Davy excels, it's just a pity health problems have intervened and a back log has resulted.

Anyhow hope he bounces back soon.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

With 18 bids these pipes sold for $1,000, quite a jump from the second highest bid of $750 (reserve had been met)