Source for self-adhesive cork sheets for tenons?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Source for self-adhesive cork sheets for tenons?

Post by eskin »

Any have a recommendation for self-adhesive cork sheets for use in refitting hemp-wound tenons?
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Islandpiper

cork

Post by Islandpiper »

Eskin, forget any sticky-back cork. Use plain cork sheet like is used in a clarinet, fitted and glued, then trimmed and sanded, then doped with cork grease. Cork sheet comes in several precision cut thicknesses and is not cheap. Don't use the composite cork sheet seen in the hardware stores. Call toll free during the business day ( 1-866-545-6655 ) and I can give you some ideas of price. Or, drop into any reputable shop that repairs clarinets and ask them. good luck!
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I was told once that cork is not such a great idea for bagpipe tenons, as it shrinks permanently when the components are left on for a long time. What's wrong with good old thread, anyway?
eskin

Post by eskin »

In my case, this is the blowpipe connection to the bellows... it originally was corked, but when it wore out, the previous owner had just wrapped it with teflon tape, which I reinforced with waxed thread since it wasn't very secure. The problem is that when using the regulators, the side to side motion will eventually cause it to work its way loose from the bellows, which is driving me nuts. I want to go back to the orginal cork configuration to see if it reduces/eliminates the problem.

In this case, there is just a hole in the wood of the bellows, no metal receiving tube like on my other sets. I'd very much appreciate any suggestions on better retention of the blowpipe in the bellows.

Thanks,

Michael
djm

Post by djm »

I would think any pipemaker could make a metal connection tube for your bellows. I had thought I'd seen a note on this forum about installing a quick-disconnect hose coupling, but nothing comes up in a search. I would think using quick-disconnects would solve your problem.

djm
No E

Cork...

Post by No E »

Michael-

Check with Dave Collins, his "day job" is repairing woodwinds.

-Larry
Calum

Post by Calum »

There was a brief vogue in the GHB world in the early 90s for having your joints replaced with cork tenons - it was soon discovered that it didn't really work. The problem is that most woodwinds are dismantled, so the cork regularly gets to decompress, and so it maintains a tight fit when assembled. By contrast, GHBs generally stay mostly assembled. After a few years, most people were having to add hemp to the joints, and soon most gave up and went back to hemp. The latest craze is o-rings, though it's more of a passing interest than a craze, I would say.

Cheers,
Calum
jeff_lindblade

Post by jeff_lindblade »

Michael -

Follow Kieran the sensei on the path of enlightenment and go with the garden hose fittings (in brass for the extra special touch). I have the supply hose lengths cut so I can use both my D and C set with the same bellows. A quick click, change sets, and I'm in gear.

BTW-
Bob said he had a nice time at the session on Tuesday PM. I saw him last night, a little short of sleep but none the worse for wear.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Hi Jeff,

It was great having Bob at the session... I've got to come out to Chicago one of these days... he told me about the "Trifecta"... :-)

Back to the subject of corked blowpipe fittings, I think cork works well for blowpipe->bellows connections, since they are are only connected while playing and have time to re-swell between playing sessions. The cork on my Kirk Lynch set is still going strong after 3 years, just requires an occasional forced swelling with a little heat from a match.

For the other set, this morning I tried using some sheet cork from the local craft store attached to the blowpipe end fitting with 3M spray-on adhesive, seems to be working great so far. I also made sure to apply some cork grease as well as bevel the edges. Appears to be a very secure fit so far.

I'd be curious, I hear about synthetic sheet cork replacements, anyone have a specific recommendation?

Cheers and thanks for all the suggestions,

Michael
illwinds

Post by illwinds »

Hi Michael, I just got some sheets of a new product called tech-cork. It's ground up cork impregnated with some kind of rubber. I have not tried it yet but other woodwind technicians like it and say that it is great for sax necks and clarinet tenons. The word is that it doesn't compress as much and rebounds more than sheet cork and is a bit stiffer, but it still cuts as easilly as cork, not the same as gasket material.
For an adhesive, we usually use a good brush-on contact cement. Barge brand is used by many shoe and luggage repairmen and is very strong.
I think I will be seeing you Satuday, I'll try to remember to bring it to show you.
Dave Collins.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I'd read that the quality of sheet cork had dropped precipitiously in recent times, and while this would be a nightmare for vinoculturists (wine makers - you've got to have a good cork in there) I'd been wondering when someone would devise a synthetic sheet of some type, which is strictly functional after all.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Childress has been using a rubberized self sdhesive material (instead of cork or hemp) for years.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Well, after 3 days, its clear that 1/16" hobby shop cork doesn't really work very well...

At the recommendation of some knowlegeable repair folks, I've ordered some Tech-Cork sheets in 1.5 and 1.8 mm thickness... they should work out nicely...

Cheers,

Michael
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:...(wine makers - you've got to have a good cork in there) I'd been wondering when someone would devise a synthetic sheet of some type, which is strictly functional after all.
Go buy some Australian wine. It seems that they have a synthetic cork or maybe I was looking into the bottle way too long