Uilleann Pipe Buying Questions

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
WhistlingGuitar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginner player of high and low whistles for the past two years, complete beginner on the guitar, and looking to expand to the Uilleann Pipes.

Re: Uilleann Pipe Buying Questions

Post by WhistlingGuitar »

Thanks! I'll check them out. The more options the merrier...
JordanMcConnell
Tell us something.: Primarily a guitar player and also play pipes.
I have a Joe Kennedy full set in D, with a B set on the way.

Post by JordanMcConnell »

My 2 cents thrown in…
When I was getting going I played on a Rogge polyacetal chanter for a couple of years while I waited for him to make my ebony set. It was a great chanter and I actually wish I still had it. Sold and sold again…
I have had at least 4 Rogge concert reeds come through Manitoba, survive multiple (brutally dry) winters, and move on to a new location with the new owners reporting success. I still have one killer reed here that I kept despite not having a Rogge stick for it that I suspect would drop into a new chanter and play fine. Just to say, his reeds have been survivors in my experience.
The bag and bellows that came with the chanter when I got it were basic but functioned very well.
Unless things have changed dramatically from when I owned one, I would vouch that the polyacetal practise set at 770 Euro is a hell of a good instrument at a really good price. Not to mention Andreas has decades of experience behind his work. Without a doubt it would be my first choice for a bare bones budget.
Also to throw into the mix, Joe Kennedy in Canada and Tommy Martin in Ireland have both been making basic chanters at low price points lately. I think you’d pay more than a daye or Rogge plastic set but you’d get a first class instrument.
Best,
Jordan
WhistlingGuitar
Tell us something.: Beginner player of high and low whistles for the past two years, complete beginner on the guitar, and looking to expand to the Uilleann Pipes.

I was actually just looking at Rogge's practise set yesterday. It certainly sounds like it will do well for my needs. Thanks for the recommendation.

Does Joe Kennedy have a website, or does someone know his current price list and wait times? I can't find any information about him online, but I really would like to check him out.

Martin pipes also look like a good option, especially since they're are available right now. Choices, choices... :)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I notice that you suggest that you are sometimes in the states. If so, you might check into Bruce Childress' pipes. He makes practice sets and, while I'm not a piper, I've seen his work at the Pipers' Gathering and heard positive comments on the practice sets as well as how easy it is to work with him.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
JordanMcConnell
Tell us something.: Primarily a guitar player and also play pipes.
I have a Joe Kennedy full set in D, with a B set on the way.

Post by JordanMcConnell »

WhistlingGuitar wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:54 am Does Joe Kennedy have a website, or does someone know his current price list and wait times? I can't find any information about him online, but I really would like to check him out.
Joe keeps a pretty low profile online. No website. His email address is unionpipemaker@yahoo.ca
Just reach out and let him know what you’re after.
WhistlingGuitar

Thank you! I'll send him an email.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

JordanMcConnell wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:59 am Joe keeps a pretty low profile online. No website. His email address is unionpipemaker@yahoo.ca
Just reach out and let him know what you’re after.
He's also on FB.
PJ
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

I agree with pancelticpiper. Just recently I lead a beginner class in dry winter with one of the students tooting a Daye half set and the other a Rogge poly practice set. I tried both sets back to back. Both had similar light reed issues that day, which could be remedied quite easily. While you COULD make music with the Daye set, I much preferred the Rogge craftsmanship. Better bag, bellows and chanter construction all over. The Daye felt VERY home depot like. Not that much fun to work with. YMMV.
Christian
shakyhands

Post by shakyhands »

I've also recently tried contacting Joe Kennedy via email and Facebook because I really like his old-school sounding Coyne-inspired flat sets, but after nearly a month I haven't heard back. So he might be a hard one to track down. More power to ya if you can make it happen!
WhistlingGuitar

To be honest, I haven't even tried contacting Joe Kennedy. I was going to, but I've been communicating with Andreas Rogge, since he is quite highly recommended, and I'm just waiting for him to answer a couple of questions, and then I'm planning on placing an order. Exciting times! :)