When to get a 1/2 set?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Flutulator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

When to get a 1/2 set?

Post by Flutulator »

Hey folks,

Firstly, thanks for the advice on whether to go lefty or "correct." I have sourced a loaner chanter and a kelleher bag/bellows set up, and have access to local lessons for getting started.

Next question: when does it make sense to get drones? Or, I should say, how soon? For context, I have been fluting for 12 years in sessions, gigs, workshops, etc. I also competed on GHB, although that was decades ago. Finally, I have a copy of the Clarke tutor. I read through it and none of the concepts seemed alien, weird, etc. So there is some intellectual familiarity with how things work. (And yes, I know that is a different thing entirely from hands-on experience).

It would not be financially difficult for me to order drones and have them sent by the beginning of the summer (Yup, already contacted some makers I am interested in and those predictions are fresh). Would I be able to take advantage of drones within three-four months or is that unrealistic?

FWIW, I also have a lot of free time over the summer. Sometimes teaching has its perks!

Thanks,

John
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
dyersituations

Re: When to get a 1/2 set?

Post by dyersituations »

Nice on getting a practice set going with lessons. Those are really the hardest first steps to learning. For when to get drones, it really depends on the person and financial situation. When I was first starting, I had multiple people tell me in person to get drones as soon as possible. The reasons being to get used to the differences in air pressure for drones and to get used to holding a set with drones attached.

Some people play practice sets for years, and some people start on full sets. So there really isn't one answer. For me, I played a practice set for about a year before picking up a 1/2 set. Then for technical reasons with the set, I didn't start playing with drones regularly for another year.

Adding the drones have taught me a lot about air pressure and have forced me to be extra conscious about leaking air from the chanter. I guess I also would recommend picking up drones sooner than later. That being said, it was nice just having to worry about the chanter and getting used to the bag/bellows mechanics, but the drones have further pushed me in both areas. In the beginning I also wanted some time to decide if the pipes were the path I wanted to go, since I play multiple instruments, so the lower price to entry for a practice set was helpful. If I were to start now, knowing that I was all in, I would probably start with a 1/2 set, with the mind that I would be playing without drones until I was comfortable with the chanter. But hindsight is 20/20.
Life is good.
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

For the reasons given above, I'd agree - just get the drones now if you can afford it. They'll be there when you're ready and will stop you picking up bad bag habits.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

I agree with the others; as soon as you can afford them. There is (should be) a switch in the main stock, so you can shut them off or turn them on as desired.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Tou-Che

Post by Tou-Che »

I started with the best practice set I could afford. Moving on to the best halfset I could afford. Finally, I now play a fullset. My opinion assuming you plan on playing the pipes for life is to get the fullest set you can afford. I think having a fullset forces you to have good posture especially if you plan on playing the regs. I don't hear much talk about the importance of posture but it took me 12 years to realize I had none!
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

Pitching in to say with your background especially you will be fine with drones.

The only argument that as far as I can see hold water *against* starting with drones is that there is more to go wrong which is not good as a beginner, but someone with your experience has at least got the ability to know whether an issue is reasonable or not.