Fingering

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bcullen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Fingering

Post by bcullen »

I Have noticed that some chanters are at an almost 45% angle to the body and touch the popping strap on the
inside leg. Somewhere among that radius i might get the correct fingering. At the moment i am like a violin player as opposed to
a fiddle player, a very rigid stance and over concentrating. So my mantra "relax relax" usually last for about 10min, No problem with bag and bellows they are almost a body part. Is there a lubricant that can assist in the fingering?. Must google bagbalm, sounds a bit suss

Just looked up bagbalm, (yak fat) its for very cold climates. Here in South Australia we have had weeks of bush fires and heat into 50c

Thanks for the help
Bryan
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

I've recently been working my way through a book called "Basics", about the fundamentals of violin playing. It's obviously not directly applicable but I recommend a peruse to any teacher; it's really fascinating levels of detail on making muscles and so on work for you and not against you.

On grip. If you hold your hand and forearm up in front of your face, at eye level, then relax your fingers so they hang straight down. Now bend your wrist up, while staying relaxed. Notice your fingers stay pointing in the same direction.

When you hold a chanter, there's a degree of natural bend in your wrist. This in turn sends a gentle closing force through the natural elasticity of your muscles and tendons to your fingers. A good grip is one where this natural closing force is sealing the holes, with no pressure required.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

I have the same problem, I am using the top of my middle finger to properly seal the hole. Should the chanter be more at an angle?

EDIT: I didn't notice the second page, I will try relaxing my wrists more. My right hand is fine, but my left hand, wrist, and arm, are all tense. I think this is because I am squeezing the bag, could the bag also be pressing down on the tendons, causing strain?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

I am trying to modify my grip and fingering but as long as i am having success with one method I am not
going to concern my self to much. Cant say the changing of angle helps much. I just think once a tune becomes second nature
the stance is flexible and I can sort of alter things while playing.

It will Happen

Bryan
Ciotog

Post by Ciotog »

It might help to acquire a low D whistle for a bit of practice as the holes (on mine anyway) are further apart and bigger than on my D chanters. Of my two D chanters, the Andreas Rogge one was more difficult to master than the Mickey Dunne one as the latter has nice, scooped out hollows over the holes which made it easier to master.
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

My biggest problem is sensitivity (lack of) This i am replacing with a constant scale checks for air leeks until my Brain gets it
right and i find the lazy digits.
Bryan
billh

Post by billh »

Low whistle isn't going to help. It presents its own unique challenges.

I would concur, avoid using the fingertips in the manner of 18th and 19th century paintings. It will, at best, slow you down a lot, and at worst cause strain injury or make decent piping impossible.

The angle of the chanter is a big part of the equation. Also, note that the first joint (i.e. 'tip') of the fourth finger of the top hand should be used, and the middle joints of the first amd second fingers. Similarly, the tip of the lowermost finger (little finger of the bottom hand) should br used.

There should be, for almost any human, an angle of the chanter at which the toneholes seem to fall 'naturally' under the finger joints as described above. I've yet to see a student whose hands did not permit it.

- B
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

avoid using the fingertips in the manner of 18th and 19th century paintings.

[Don't try this at home kids!]
My brain hurts

geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
avoid using the fingertips in the manner of 18th and 19th century paintings.

[Don't try this at home kids!]

Ah.!!.. a lovely early Gumby image, I assume ?
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

Great pic. I think I can avoid being that bad. What about the left wrist?
maybe the artist was a bit slack. Is the original in colour

Bryan