Poor acting student, piper in 2 weeks?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Poor acting student, piper in 2 weeks?

Post by Nanohedron »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:Maybe he could play standing, or even walking, if it's a Pakistani set *duck and cover*.
Yeah, where's that eBay pic of the nice lady in a beanie posing with a Pakistani set, the drones on her shoulder? She knows how to do it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Nanohedron wrote:
Roger O'Keeffe wrote:Maybe he could play standing, or even walking, if it's a Pakistani set *duck and cover*.
Yeah, where's that eBay pic of the nice lady in a beanie posing with a Pakistani set, the drones on her shoulder? She knows how to do it.

Hahaha.... Does this picture actually exist? If so, I want to see it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

It actually, really, honestly exists for sure. Or at least it used to exist. I've seen it posted at least twice here on C&F, but I fear it may have turned into one of those no-image-available-type-thingums because I can't track it down any more. If ever you see it, it totally looks as if some grey-market shyster used his mom to pose with the set, and nobody in the room had any idea what to do with the contraption but flip a coin and wing it. IIRC she also held the chanter upside-down. She had this sweet "I'm doing this for my son" smile that suggested she was grateful that at least her boy wasn't in prison.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

I've taught someone with no prior experience to play Amazing Grace on GHB in six weeks. The guy in question threw himself into it and worked like a dog to achieve it, and had the budget to throw as many lessons at it as were needed.

Two weeks in the circumstances described? Hah.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Calum wrote:I've taught someone with no prior experience to play Amazing Grace on GHB in six weeks.
And what of the end product, would you say?
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

Nanohedron wrote:And what of the end product, would you say?
Well, these things are what they are. He did a very good job for where he started from. You wouldn't pay for it, perhaps, but his colleagues certainly appreciated it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Right; 'nuff said.

Well, considering that theater has a long tradition of occasional ad libbing, when the poor fellow hobbles onto the stage trying to play and walk with sit-down pipes that he's only had his mitts on for a fortnight, maybe someone might ask, "Good lord, what IS that?", to which someone else could reply, "He hasn't been at it long."

It could work.

But here's a thought: If he has to crash-course the pipes to an acceptable level of disaster in two weeks, how will he have time to learn his lines?
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Considering the original text calls for a fiddler and the guy can play the violin, it's the most stupid idea I've ever heard of.
Not considering that, it's still the most stupid idea, letting the poor man play an instrument which he cannot play, in a position in which said instrument can't be played.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

MichaelLoos wrote:Considering the original text calls for a fiddler and the guy can play the violin, it's the most stupid idea I've ever heard of.
Not considering that, it's still the most stupid idea, letting the poor man play an instrument which he cannot play, in a position in which said instrument can't be played.

Well said. I must have missed the bit about the play originally calling for a violin. In that case, it's a no-brainer that he should instead play fiddle.

I'm curious how this situation has proceeded, and if there are any updates on the matter. Surely, after ten days or so, they have come to the conclusion that it simply isn't going to work.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

We have not yet established which Friel play it is.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Where's that %#@&$ director? Lemme at 'im.

Brus

Post by Brus »

MichaelLoos wrote: Not considering that, it's still the most stupid idea, letting the poor man play an instrument which he cannot play, in a position in which said instrument can't be played.
Think of it as a challenge!

:lol:
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

What? Of course it's a challenge. It's always a challenge when you're getting mugged.