Are there tunes you will not play anymore?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
kidonthemountain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Multi-instrumentalist based in New England. Want to see what's happening out there in the trad world.

Re: Are there tunes you will not play anymore?

Post by kidonthemountain »

Nearly all of the done-to-death tunes appeal to me in some way. It might be the challenge of trying a new and (hopefully) interesting way of phrasing/ornamentation/variation, or the sense of "paying it forward" to the less-experienced folks at a session, or because it reminds me of the friend from whom I first learned it -- or simply because it's a damn great tune that became a cliché through no fault of its own.

Having said that, I have given up on the Lurgadán because I find it absolutely cringeworthy on the pipes, at least in the key of D.
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Sometimes, if the tunes have been rushy and shouty for two or three sets and I've used the downtime to re-hemp every joint, I'll toss out a hornpipe that nobody knows to break things up a bit and make people return to their heads – and with luck, some semblance of rhythm. I'm continually amazed by the awesome restorative power of a hornpipe.
A hornpipe nobody knows? You mean every hornpipe I play. ;)

I did have a nice experience last week at a session where I played a couple hornpipes only accompanied by a harpist. Added a really nice element to the tune.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

misterpatrick wrote:
I did have a nice experience last week at a session where I played a couple hornpipes only accompanied by a harpist. Added a really nice element to the tune.
And probably to the session as well!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.