The Wheels of the World: 300 Years of Irish Uilleann Pipers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Wheels of the World: 300 Years of Irish Uilleann Pipers

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Ditto, mine showed up yesterday along with a new Henry Taylor incannel gouge, which I take as some sort of sign. Was expecting delivery of the book in the fall. Read the Paddy Keenan section, very entertaining read. Had forgotten his rationale for wide brim hats - reflects the sound back to you, see. Loads of stuff like that, albeit a lot of it focuses on his stint with the Bothies which has taken up, what, 5% of his life? Whereas the 80s are covered in the span of a couple of paragraphs, pretty much. But that's about as harsh a critcism as I can come up with, it looks like a terrific tome to have on the shelf. Have the rest of your local pipers' club chip in for a group copy.

What is it with pipers that we form associations, write books, etc? I suggested to a fiddler recently that they form a fiddling society or club, share knowledge, do good works, etc. Was met with the predicted blank stare. :lol: I mean, Portland Oregon even had a Kevin Burke LP named after it...
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"What is it with pipers that we form associations, write books, etc? I suggested to a fiddler recently that they form a fiddling society or club, share knowledge, do good works, etc. Was met with the predicted blank stare. :lol: I mean, Portland Oregon even had a Kevin Burke LP named after it..." Kevin.

Kevin don't forget the new massive 382 page book by Tommy Peoples "Ó am - Go ham (From Time to Time): Tutor, Text and Tunes" by Tommy Peoples - ISBN: 9780993257100.

The book was was launched at Willie Week 2015. Thanks to Peter Laban we were able to purchase a copy from Tommy himself. Tommy Peoples has long been my favourite fiddler, and we didn't expect to meet him in person. I was awestruck to say the least. As far as I know the book isn't all that easy to get hold of. You had to get it from Tommy himself at the launch or during Willie Week. Custy's Music, Ennis are the only shop entrusted to sell the tome. It's well worth getting hold of, a great read, lots of photos, tunes, tutorial, drawings.
http://www.custysmusic.com/product-info.php?pid814.html
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I was just reading about Tommy's book, actually. $68, crikey. I'll be playing some tunes later today with a fiddling friend, maybe I can trick her into buying that...she's one of K. Burke's students, those lessons cost about the same.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I was just reading about Tommy's book, actually. $68, crikey.
It's a large 382 page book, packed with a tutorial, tunes and 130 of his own compositions. In addition there's the stories and memories associated with the tunes, photos etc etc. all of it breathing the spirit and personality of the man.

He was selling it @ €45 during the Willie week and given its size and weight a fair chunk of the amount you're paying now is going towards postage. Buying it provides an income to a musician who is in very poor health indeed and not able to gig. Seems like a no-brainer.

Tommy Peoples' website
My brain hurts

KJM
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by KJM »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I was just reading about Tommy's book, actually. $68, crikey.
It's a large 382 page book, packed with a tutorial, tunes and 130 of his own compositions. In addition there's the stories and memories associated with the tunes, photos etc etc. all of it breathing the spirit and personality of the man.

He was selling it @ €45 during the Willie week and given its size and weight a fair chunk of the amount you're paying now is going towards postage. Buying it provides an income to a musician who is in very poor health indeed and not able to gig. Seems like a no-brainer.

Tommy Peoples' website
Not to mention the current EUR-USD exchange rate.