A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bcullen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by bcullen »

Hi i am a novice who can knock out a few tunes. After many months of getting my set up and playable (Hunter flatD)and making my own reeds
I now need some one/one advice I am virtually housebound due to a disabled wife and am looking at skype. So I would appreciate the advice of anyone who has gone down this path. At the moment this forum and you tube have been a great assist but to avoid bad habits setting in i need a teacher.
Bryan
learnthegrip

Re: Skype

Post by learnthegrip »

I've taken lessons both in person and via Skype. There are some disadvantages to Skype, the principal one in my experience is that there is a bit of a lag between what is transmitted and what is received, which means that you and your instructor cannot play together. I've never had a Skype lesson in which there wasn't a blip or two, usually something like speech being broken up to the point where it was not understandable, but these are usually transient. I've also attempted to learn on my own without instruction and really there is no comparison. Skype is vastly superior to struggling alone. An in-person lesson is the best, but when that is impossible, Skype is a very useful alternative.
Was that a groan or did I hear the Dingle bagpipes Wasting war and?
Finnegans Wake
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

Fom my perspective (I both teach and receive lessons via Skype) I think it's great. Obviously you need a solid connection, but so far it's never been unworkable.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Lessons in person are the best route but Skype (or similar) is the next best thing. I've been taking skype lessons for 5 years. The main draw-back for skype is that sometimes the signal is poor or the call will be dropped. Another draw-back, particularly for a beginner, is that if you're having problems with your reed, the teacher can't show you how to make the necessary adjustments. But once your pipes are playing well and the internet connection is reliable, skype can be an excellent way to learn the dark arts. The teacher can hear and see how you play and can correct errors. He can also show you how to play tricky techniques which are not otherwise easily mastered (eg. from a book).
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi Bryan,

If you can't get 1 on 1 instruction, then online video lessons are the next best thing. I've been doing it for many years with decent success. But I suppose that's up to my students to say. I very rarely play a tune in unison with a student so that isn't an issue, in my opinion.

You can see what I do on my websites www.patrickdarcymusic.com and www.uilleannobsession.com or my YouTube Playlist, Tunes - give it a try and see if you like it!

Take care,

Patrick