International travel with ebony pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: International travel with ebony pipes?

Post by billh »

To address the original question:

For ebony, this is not currently a problem. Information published by the DHS regarding Lacey Act enforcement has indicated that INDIVIDUALS travelling WITH THEIR OWN INSTRUMENTS will not be 'targeted'. Lacey Act documentation will only be required for commercial shipments.

Note also that the new Lacey Act provisions currently do not apply to wind instruments, so this is doubly a non-issue for travelling wind instrument musicians and is likely to remain so for some years yet. Let us hope that the 'instrument passport' procedure is streamlined before then.

As others have pointed out, some species have been subject to CITES regulations for years, so the previous issues with elephant ivory and Brazilian rosewood still apply. Most CITES timber restrictions do not apply to finished items, only lumber and logs (though there are a few exceptions).

- Bill
malanstevenson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Thanks, Bill, that's just the information I was looking for.
"History...is a record of unjustified suffering, irreparable loss, tragedy without catharsis."
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

http://www.pipesdrums.com/article/confi ... us-border/

Ivory, and it seems they knew fine well their paperwork was not in order, but the lesson is there.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Has anyone heard any stories of within country travel hassles over ivory instruments? That would not surprise me :( .

t
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

There was that guy from PETA who chained himself to Mattie Connolly at the Baltimore tionol...