How to sharpen the B on a chanter.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Richard Katz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How to sharpen the B on a chanter.

Post by Richard Katz »

I have always wanted to ask this question.

How would one sharpen the B note on your chanter? Say the B is very flat but all of the other notes are in tune.

Any advise is appreciated.

Cheers! Richard
geoff wooff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: How to sharpen the B on a chanter.

Post by geoff wooff »

Richard,
if you can give more détails I might be able to help with your question. So, how flat is this B note ? Is it flat in both octaves or flat by differing amounts or sharp in the upper and flat in the lower? What type of chanter ?

cheers,
Geoff.
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your assistance.

My chanter is a D made in 1998 by Charles Roberts in Sligo.

My B has always seemed flat, especially in the first octave. the second octave B, which I rarely use, seems to be in tune.

I realize the B is built to be so many cents flat, but....

Probably 20 cents flat I am guessing. Not testing with a tuner right this minute.

Didn't know if this could be a tape on the hole fix or what.

Knowing that you can't actually hear it in person and are trusting my estimation......

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance! Richard
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Richard,
your description of the tuning of your B's is what I would expect . There are adjustments and compromises that can be made with the reeds to minimise the problem and also 'fixes' and adjustments to the chanter , some of which may have, or should have, been put into place during the making of the stick.

In a natural harmonic scale, based on D, the B note will sing sweetly with the drones when it is 16 cents flat... but any amount from 11 cents flat ( from the ET position) will start to sweeten the interval.

The problem with making a suggestion for adjustment is that everything else has to be taken into consideration. There are two awkward notes on a chanter, also on most other woodwinds, the second and the sixth . So the E wants to be flat in the upper octave and the B wants to be sharp ( in comparison to their low octave équivalents).... It is possible to design a bore shape and holes sizes to minimise these naturally occuring events... but I do not wish to go into that or even explain on a public forum how I would go about rectifying your problem.

It is possible to bring up the pitch of the lower octave B without much altering the upper but that involves physical alteration to the chanter.... the simplest way (if you cannot find a 'reed' solution) is to shift the B hole very slightly north and to rely on Oboe fingering for the then raised upper B note. How well that cross fingering will work on a large holed CP chanter I do not know.

It is far more difficult to manipulate the upper octave tunings on a chanter so the lower octave notes have to be made to play an octave below them and the whole gamut adjusted to agree with the desired scale .

The big question is " how much sharper do you want that B note ?"

I have a somewhat different method of equalising the octave tuning of the B's but we ain't exactly living in each other's back yards and you'd need to drop in for a cup of Tea so's I can see/hear the problem. :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

the second octave B, which I rarely use

This statement keeps jumping out at me and I don't understand it. Are you deliberately avoiding the note? Don't you play tunes that go to high B (that would be extremely limiting wouldn't it?), don't you like the note?

My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Hi Richard,

Have you tried venting different holes or alternatively playing B with just one finger?

Also, I presume you have tried several different reeds.

Sorry, but just getting the obvious stuff out of the way.
PJ
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

No...not that I don't like the B note or that I never play the second octave B.

I just have always felt that the B note is the most curious note on the uilleann pipes in that it is so flat in comparison to oher instruments.

I do play the second octave B, but I find that it doesn't come up a lot in the tunes that I play. My second octave B is much more in tune thatn my first octave B.

Don't take me wrong here, I am not complaining at all. There are just times that I wish my B was a little sharper.

Mr. Gumby, I actually love all my notes, but to B or not to B is the question!

Richard
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I do play the second octave B, but I find that it doesn't come up a lot in the tunes that I play. My second octave B is much more in tune thatn my first octave B.
It just struck me as an odd thing to say, I never feel there are particular notes that are under-represented in the general repertoire.
My brain hurts

ausdag

Post by ausdag »

When I play my chanter without drones, my B and Cnat sound flat, but when I turn on the drones and hear that 'golden syrup of honeyed hives' (or whatever that metaphore is) I know my B and Cnat are beautifully in tune.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/