British Pathé archive now on youtube

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

British Pathé archive now on youtube

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Just noticed British Pathé seems to have uploaded their entire (?) archive up to youtube.

Some piping gems there for example : Dancers Rehearse (1928) with Jimmy Ennis

I tried to leave a comment on youtube saying it was James Ennis, father of Séamus playing but when I did Google forced me into a Google+ account I didn't want. When I finally managed to delete that the comment disappeared as well.

I may need to delete my youtube account if they keep doing that sort of stuff. Image
My brain hurts

ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Re: British Pathé archive now on youtube

Post by ennischanter »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I may need to delete my youtube account if they keep doing that sort of stuff. Image

I am pondering the same thing. :tantrum:

Does he have the bag tied directly to the windcap here?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Great bit of footage and a spyglass on the past and how much things have changed. I was at the world Irish dancing championships in Killarney at the weekend and it left a bitter taste in my mouth to see the way the dancers have(by the rules) to dress. Curley wigs and dresses that cost a months wages and all dancers over 13 years of age have to apply fake tan ! holey moley ,whats going on ?
As another sign O' the times ,when the footage from 1928 was over one of the clips to choose from was the worlds best pole dancer.Did they have pole dancing in 1928 ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

rorybbellows wrote:Did they have pole dancing in 1928 ?
RORY
No '29
http://streaming.britishpathe.com/hls-v ... 2.mp4.m3u8
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

all dancers over 13 years of age have to apply fake tan

Recently RTE ran a documentary series about dancing -Jigs and Wigs. One of the episodes focused on a guy teaching in Taiwan and on a few of his pupils. One of them, a lovely young girl and a very disciplined dancer was about to enter one of the competitions. During the preparations we saw her mother help her with the make up, spending half the day applying the fake tan. Can't do Irish dancing without fake tan can you? The oompa loompa look is the look favoured by all too many Irish women after all. They were complaining it's very hard to get the fake tan in Taiwan (you wonder why, don't you) so they had to import it themselves at great expense. There's a bit of top shelf madness for you.

[Jigs and wigs on RTE -player (only two episode left on it, not including the one I mentioned)
My brain hurts

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Youtube is owned by Google, so you won't be able to comment without having the account.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Youtube is owned by Google, so you won't be able to comment without having the account.
If having a youtube account isn't sufficient, that will probably have to be the end of it.
My brain hurts

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

As far as I know, "youtube" accounts are in fact google accounts now. They consolidated everything, which is actually very convenient (since it's all on the same system anyway), but understandably not to everyone's taste.
Ben Steen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Ben Steen »

Using this page > > https://accounts.google.com/signupwithoutgmail I was able to use an email other than gmail, though apparently it's still a google account. I created a YouTube channel, opened the link & clicked on the option to leave a comment, which I didn't do, but was prompted with an already checked box to Also share on Google+

Ben S

post edit ~ none of the above ^ ^

YouTube & Google have wrapped themselves so tight I don't think it's possible to have a YouTube channel w/out Google+
I tried one route which apparently worked just two months ago, but a previously useful webpage has been rewritten. So, for now, all commentary on WhoTube is channeled through
> >
GOOGLE+YOUTUBE [GOTCHA]
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Yes, this is not about consolidation. There is already a page to login to all of Google and there has been for a good while. That's consolidation. This is all about being press-ganged into Google's attempt at social media by taking away facilities of a website you are already fully signed up for and making them only available if you sign up for another and I don't want it.
My brain hurts

tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Seems to be a lot of regulator vamping in that footage.
I thought "My father wouldn't do that" :D

Tommy
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

He does that sort of thing on the Fingal Trio recordings.
My brain hurts

CHasR

Post by CHasR »

"Google+" has ruined YouTube as we know it. For everyone? mostly. Permanently? remains to be seen. To make matters worse, Google Chrome (for me) has huge problems with video playback.

It;s all totally messed up :party:
john

Post by john »

seems to have the long, boney elegant fingers seamus had
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

john wrote:seems to have the long, boney elegant fingers seamus had
That's where he got his build from! :P
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.