Uilleann pipes with more than 3 drones.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
DjUntzUntz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Uilleann pipes with more than 3 drones.

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Hey guys,

Question about uilleann pipes that have more than 3 drones. How many extra drones can be put on a set of uilleann pipes? That also brings me to
the question: where are these drones attached? Same place as the others, in the stock? or external somewhere?

And how does this work with tuning? Are extra drones always tuned in the same tone as the pitch of the instrument? are they tuned in different tones
to build drone chords?

Perhaps people have some examples or pictures of uilleann pipes with more than 3 drones? would be great to see/hear some pictures and examples! :-)

Kind regards
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Uilleann pipes with more than 3 drones.

Post by ChristianRo »

Most common, I think, is an extra A or G drone between bari and tenor. Tom Kannmacher has a set with 5 drones, three standard D plus two extra drones tuned to E. The mainstock has an additional switch which allows changing between D and E. Spectacular ...
Christian
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

I have a set with six drones (3 standard D, 3 in A: contrabass, baritone and tenor). The three A drones are mounted to the side of the stock a la the tube that is common for a bass regulator. I'd post a picture if I knew how to do it.
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Thanks for your replies Christian (lovely playing on the B set by the way) and Ceann. Perhaps you are able to find out at some point? I would love to see how your set looks like.

How does the set play for you? does it give some extra tonal dimension? and what is your opinion about pipes with more than 3 drones. Worth the extra coin and air?

Kind regards
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

You're welcome. I usually play either the three Ds (maybe + one A drone) or all A drones. I use this set mainly to play Old Time tunes with the A drones. I'll try to find out how to post a picture and post one for you.
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:You're welcome. I usually play either the three Ds (maybe + one A drone) or all A drones. I use this set mainly to play Old Time tunes with the A drones. I'll try to find out how to post a picture and post one for you.
Thank you kindly for that Ceann. So you never play all drones together? playing D and A together would probably sound very nice. gives a nice rich drone tone I suspect? Thanks for the offer concering the picture! take your time of course :)
Tilori
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tilori »

I would really like to see the contrabass drone. How much does your set weigh? Must be really heavy. :o
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

I had an A drone on 2 frmr. sets of mine. Honestly, I used them so infrequently that I questioned why I spent the extra cash to get them! They did however offer another place for possible air leaks, though!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Chris Bayley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Chris Bayley »

The presentation set made for Robert Miller by Robert Reid (NPS fame) has six drones arranged in two sets of three. Two on off switches controlled which set was on giving either Dda or Ggd. The two bass drones have triple bored barrel sections rather than the outside loop. It was sold at Sotheby's in the mid 1980's and was purchased by the NMAS. It came to my workshop for restoration

http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record. ... -579-667-C
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

but that means that you usually don't play with more than 3, perhaps 4 drones up, I think? or are there pipers/pipes where you play with 5-6 drones active at the same time?
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

From the non-uilleann pipes section, but related I think.:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94868
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

I actually had made Tom´s set (back in 1990) (it is mine – I just lent it to him) and happen to have pics. This is original:
http://img3.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads ... o0sjzg.jpg

and this is with the fourth regulator, that Tom invented and added:
http://img3.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads ... bj489d.jpg

The set has two drone switches. You can either play tenor d, baritone d and base d or tenor e and baritone e. A good few of tunes – although in D or G have a melodie part that suits e drones so that you could switch even within the tune – e. g. „Drowsy Maggie“. Tom has a soundfile.
islander
Tell us something.: Hello there. How are you? I'm just updating my profile, deleting info and writing stuff here to show i'm not a spammer because i'm an actual human being.

Post by islander »

DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

but from what I understand at the moment is that you aren't really able to play drones in a chord-like way, building up a few different drone tones to make a chord. Taking the Uilleann pipes of Tom as an example where either the 3 D's are played or both E's and in case of Richard's Uilleann drone machine where he constantly changes between B A and D drones.

that means you aren't able to play for example a drone combination of G B D together at the same time? (just saying something as an example, don't even know if that's possible with drones).
islander
Tell us something.: Hello there. How are you? I'm just updating my profile, deleting info and writing stuff here to show i'm not a spammer because i'm an actual human being.

Post by islander »

Yeah it looks like you can only play one drone note at a time. But anyway, we have regs for the chords. Having a constant triad (like G B D) droning in the background sounds a bit boring to me. It's the same as having your regular D drones on and constantly pressing G and B on the regs. I wouldn't want to do that. Of course someone else might, but still, it can be done on the regulators.

EDIT: upon second listening of that drone machine video I think the D is constant and he's changing between A and B.