wikipedia

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
emer

wikipedia

Post by emer »

amazing the things you learn on Wikipedia, for example :

The earliest surviving sets of uilleann pipes date from the second half of the 18th century but it must be said that datings are not definitive. Only recently has scientific attention begun to be paid to the instrument and problems relating to various stages of its development have yet to be resolved. It is gradually becomming accepted that the union pipes originated from the Pastoral pipes and gained popularity in Ireland within the protestant Anglo-Irish community and its gentlemen pipers. Certainly many of the early players in Ireland were protestant, possibly the best known being the mid-18th century piper Jackson from Co Limerick and the 18th century Tandragee pipemaker William Kennedy. The pipes were certainly frequently used by the protestent clergy who employed them as an alternative to the the church organ. As late as the 19th century the instrument was still commonly associated with the Anglo-Irish e.g. the Anglican clergyman Canon James Goodman (1828-1896) from Kerry, who interestingly had his uilleann pipes buried with him at Creagh (Church of Ireland) cemetery near Baltimore, County Cork. His friend, and Trinity College colleague, John Hingston from Skibbereen also played the uilleann pipes.
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: wikipedia

Post by Harry »

Oh, that's somebody's idea of 'history' alright... don't swallow it. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Harry.
"[insert quote here]" -- A. Page

Piping podcast: http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Best believe the pipes lived on both sides of the sectarian divide. . .with some amusing goings on entailed. R.L. Mealy ( a seemingly Northern Protestant sounding name) came to be known as O'Mealy, (a suitably Catholic sounding name) at the instigation of Brother Gildas. . .a teaching Brother of the LaSalle order. . .in order to facilitate selling some of Mealy's sets to Dublin pipers.
I wouldn't put too much reliance on a sectarian division. . .the love of the music easily jumped that divide. . .even in Ulster after the partition.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

emer wrote: Canon James Goodman (1828-1896) from Kerry, who interestingly had his uilleann pipes buried with him at Creagh (Church of Ireland) cemetery near Baltimore, County Cork. .
I'd love to stay and talk but I'm off to Creagh cemetery with a shovel .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Creagh cemetery with a shovel
It was exhumed a few days after the burial. It's the Taylor set Eoin O Riabhaigh now has.
My brain hurts

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Wow. Did they have to fumigate it or anything?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.