Session etiquette and lending your pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RLines
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Session etiquette and lending your pipes?

Post by RLines »

I wanted to ask a question that I think I probably already know the answer to. But I thought it worth throwing out there, as I'm sure others have had this same experience.

I was playing out at a session this week, when another musician (whom I have known for a few years) leaned over to me and told me that a man at the bar wanted to play a tune, wanted to borrow my pipes, and asked would I mind letting him play them. Our session is pretty inclusive, and we often invite people from the crowd to have a tune or a song as the mood strikes.

Anyway my answer was no. Not because I am precious about my set (well I play a Wooff set so it is precious to me, but I think the point is a more general one). I am always happy to trade instruments with other pipers at sessions and tionols, and often do so. But the idea of some guy at the bar wanting to strap into my set - without even introducing himself to me - was not something I was happy with. The musician who asked me seemed surprised that I wouldn't let someone else play my instrument - especially as fiddlers, banjo players and guitar players at our session often let people play a tune - and I was left feeling like a bit of a spoiled brat as a result.

Given the feeling I was left with from saying no, I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are.

I must admit that I have come to the conclusion after 15 years of playing that anyone who walks up to you unannounced and asks to play your pipes probably isn't a piper. Any piper I know would never do that, as they know themselves all the trouble we all go through to maintain them and keep them functioning and in tune, and the personal nature of how every set is set up. As I said, it's not that I oppose letting people play my pipes. I enjoy it. But I need to know the person in question actually knows how to work the machine.

Was I right or am I just cranky? Thanks for your comments.
Last edited by RLines on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
Mr.Gumby

Re: Session etiquette and lending your pipes?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

No, you were right.

I do remember one time, twenty years or so ago, this guy coming up to me asking me could he have a go at my pipes. I said no. That was the first time I met Gay McKeown. But I only realised that an hour later.
My brain hurts

RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

Unfortunately it wasn't Gay at the bar :)
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

I think that you were right not to lend a total stranger your pipes, as there were too many unknowns, and many possible negative outcomes for yourself and your pipes. I am not sure what the stranger had to lose in that situation. I think that proper etiquete would have been for the stranger to introduce himself, strike up a conversation about pipes and piping, and then perhaps wait for you to offer your pipes, based on your conversation and your assessment of him and his ability to handle them. Your etiquette was correct. I am not sure that his was. Sometimes saying no is uncomfortable socially, but again, your buddies at the session did not have anything to lose either, except maybe their weekly piper, should something have happened to your pipes.
"Luck is important"
reedmasters

Post by reedmasters »

I think you did the right thing and I would do the same. It probably won't be the last time you'll be put on the spot. You shouldn't feel guilty.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Oho, this is a pet peeve of mine, and I agree 100% with your prerogative to decide, whether you agree or refuse, and for whatever reason.

The circumstances don't matter, session or not, friend or stranger, nor does what anyone else thinks. It's your instrument, it's a part of you, and the decision is always yours to make. If others might choose differently, that's fine. They're not you, and your instrument is not their responsibility. They have no say whatsoever, and you need not justify your decision to anyone, nor feel guilty. It's really that simple.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

You were right.

I'm hesitant to even loan my set to other pipers, much less random strangers.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I seldom take my pipes to a session. They are set up to fit and suit me, not some other bloke. I'll take a whistle or a flute. At a Tionol, mebbe. . .mebbe not!
I learned a bitter lesson a quarter century ago when I trusted the session to watch my set when I went to the jacks. When I returned a block mount on my tenor reg was busted off. . .no a word to be said how in two minutes' time how. It cost me ten painstaking hours to plane down, glue up, and carve a replacement block. Needless to say I am more than a little guarded and jealous of my pipes.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

I once made the mistake of lending my pipes to a piper. He played and played, and didn't feckin stop playing. I felt my blood pressure rise and rise. When I got the pipes back, the sessiun was over. it was a low class, ego fueled gesture by that gentleman that would've earned him a flogging of some sort in my earlier days. Instead, I just made the decision to not put myself in that situation again, if at all possible!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

In ma most humble opine ye would have deserved whitever befell thee if'n ye lent the set ( especially a Woof ) to this drunk probably.I mean whit wis he doing at the bar,ordering a milkshake.?Alcohol and etiquette..thats a paradox if ever there was...he wasnae wearing an old hat pulled doon over his eyes perchance? :wink:
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

The only lack of etiquette came from the stranger. Any piper worth his salt shouldn't put another in that position. Well done for sticking to your instinct.
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

I agree that you did the right thing. It was poor of someone to ask in the first place.
............ Ed
Steve Turner

Post by Steve Turner »

I agree...best not to lend your pipes to a complete stranger. Pipers generally consider it an honour to be allowed to play another pipers set, and they understand what a sensitive instrument it is, and how damned hard it is to keep them playing sweetly.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

At least a hundred people tried my Taylor pipes over the years. Even classes of 10 - 14 year old school kids who used to come to my shop for field trips - every one of them one strapped them on and gave them a go. I didn't mind at all. The best was Myron Bretholtz, who had never played any "musical" instrument before, and he had them going full tilt from the get-go, regulators and all, (although I think he came dangerously close to having a brain aneurysm.) Also memorable was a determined 12 year old girl with a plaster cast on her arm who was amazingly undaunted. However, I wouldn't lend my pipes to someone who didn't personally ask me to try them.
macwarner57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by macwarner57 »

eskin wrote:I'm hesitant to even loan my set to other pipers, much less random strangers.
I am honored to be one of the few that you've allowed to use your pipes, Michael. You may not remember but we met at your session at the Old Sod when I was vacationing in SoCal three years ago. You let me butcher a tune on your pipes- and that was only after an hour of "proving myself" on whistle and pints that I even asked. Thanks again for the opportunity, and I would not have been offended if you said no. Perhaps you should have... though my playing has improved drastically since then. The pints didn't help.

I do not let others play my set unless I trust them implicitly, or wish them to "feel my pain" and understand what a bear the pipes are to rein in, let alone make music with!!

Pic added as proof!