First of its kind music competition, calling all pipers!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ally
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

First of its kind music competition, calling all pipers!

Post by Ally »

Hello from Canada,

I was given this website info from a pipe player here. They suggested I let you know about our event this July, and that perhaps some of your members would be interested. We are having our first Oireachtas at the North American Gaeltacht and the music categories are listed below (I know, stop laughing!). In fairness, it promises to be a great deal of fun, and we are really hopeful that it will be an annual event.

The website for more info on the competition and judges (from Ireland) is http://www.oireachtas.ca/events-eng.shtml

Categories for instruments are:

Uilleann Pipes
One slow air, and two fast tunes. The fast tunes may be any of: reels, hornpipes, jigs, polkas, mazurkas, or marches. The fast tunes may be strung together. No individual tune is to exceed 3 minutes.

Harp:
Music Competitions One slow air, and two fast tunes. The fast tunes may be any of: reels, hornpipes, jigs, polkas, mazurkas, or marches. The fast tunes may be strung together. No individual tune is to exceed 3 minutes.

Céilí Bands
Bands of at least three members. Four tunes total: one waltz, two reels strung together, and a choice of either a hornpipe, jig, polka, mazurka, or march. Competitors will be primarily judged upon the “dancability” of the music (standard, consistent rhythm, and “feel” of the music). No individual tune is to exceed 3 minutes.

Happy Easter weekend and thank you so much for your time!

Best regards,

Ally
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: First of its kind music competition, calling all pipers!

Post by Uilliam »

Ally wrote:Hello from Canada,

Uilleann Pipes
One slow air, and two fast tunes. The fast tunes may be any of: reels, hornpipes, jigs, polkas, mazurkas, or marches. The fast tunes may be strung together. No individual tune is to exceed 3 minutes.

Céilí Bands
Bands of at least three members. Four tunes total: one waltz, two reels strung together, and a choice of either a hornpipe, jig, polka, mazurka, or march. Competitors will be primarily judged upon the “dancability” of the music (standard, consistent rhythm, and “feel” of the music). No individual tune is to exceed 3 minutes.

Ally
Just an opine,why put in the word FAST .Whit is fast ? ..furious ? ,sprinting? jogging speed ?...why allude to speed at all ?.Marches are generally between dead slow and quick.(The rifles have a fast march) Then there is the stringing together of your choice...That will be interesting.The tunes are in different categories for a reason.Mix them all up and ye will have the bit o fun ye are alluding to all right.Each class has it own tempo.
More care seems to have gone into the ceildhe band requirements..judged upon the “dancability” of the music (standard, consistent rhythm, and “feel” of the music). So why can't the same care be in the uilleann pipe Section.? Dancability and dance music are entwined.Reels Jigs Polkas Mazurkas Waltzes are dance music..so work it oot.
As fer the harps they can do whit the feck they like :wink:
Have a fun weekend.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

This looks like it could be fun. Early July is a good time as the humidity won't have gotten too high.

Uilliam, Fast = Not Slow. Now back to sleep :sleep:

:wink:
PJ
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Mocketh ye mayeth but markest my words:
Competition Rules if'n ye are gonna have them are important.
The detail is in the correct wording...
For withoot same then impedimentia will arise and perhaps fistacuffs to follow.
Fer all I know the word FAST could mean
Fifteen and Send Time, a type of dog agility competition or
Firefighter Assist and Search Team
or then it could be Tunes about The Great Fast as in Fasting aka an An Gorta Mhor

I am not writing this cos I am totally bored but because I happen to believe in it.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Oh here we go, PJ and Uilliam at it again,why cant you just learn to get on?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Whit ? :shock: PJ and I are blood brothers.Thus according to ancient Canadadanian Customs then we are required to draw blood on all forums to show our brotherhood. at eastertide. :wink:
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I didn't realize Uilleann piping was so competitive. What's next... uniforms?
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Tony wrote:I didn't realize Uilleann piping was so competitive. What's next... uniforms?
Complete with big, furry hats. Aye.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din