FS: Koehler&Quinn 3/4 set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
cathal morley

FS: Koehler&Quinn 3/4 set

Post by cathal morley »

Parting with my beautitful K&Q concert pitch set (blackwood, brass, im. ivory)
to raise money for medical expenses. Photos and details may be viewed on
<uilleannobsession.org> "classifieds."

Thanks
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: FS: Koehler&Quinn 3/4 set

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'm so sorry, Cathal. Hope things get better soon.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Is that set gone already? (I wouldn't be surprised.)

- Bill
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

Sorry to hear that you have to sell that set as I know you really like them.
Hope things get better for you.................Ed
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

My Koehler & Quinn 3/4 set has been spectacular. It's extremely reliable and it sounds incredible. Whoever buys this set will not regret it.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

<looking around for something to sell>
<anyone want a small farm in Kentucky?>
<kidding>

This is killing me!!! I dreamed about regulators last night.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

So the K&Q hasn't sold after 6 days, this must be unprecedented!!! Marie Na Grahda makes some great music on her set. I don't know what the waiting list is now for a K&Q, but this must surely be a rare opportunity. Interesting that instruments by makers Williams, Wooff and Wilkes sold within a few hours after being offered for sale, whilst instruments by Grinter, Murray, Froment and K&Q are not moving.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Steampacket wrote:So the K&Q hasn't sold after 6 days, this must be unprecedented!!! Marie Na Grahda makes some great music on her set. I don't know what the waiting list is now for a K&Q, but this must surely be a rare opportunity. Interesting that instruments by makers Williams, Wooff and Wilkes sold within a few hours after being offered for sale, whilst instruments by Grinter, Murray, Froment and K&Q are not moving.
Maybe the asking price has something to do with it.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Steampacket wrote:So the K&Q hasn't sold after 6 days, this must be unprecedented!!! Marie Na Grahda makes some great music on her set. I don't know what the waiting list is now for a K&Q, but this must surely be a rare opportunity. Interesting that instruments by makers Williams, Wooff and Wilkes sold within a few hours after being offered for sale, whilst instruments by Grinter, Murray, Froment and K&Q are not moving.
I think Máire's D 3/4set is a Benedict Koehler set.

t
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

You're correct, Tom.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

rorybbellows wrote:
Maybe the asking price has something to do with it.

RORY
I think they will eventually move, Rory (..hope so at least).

it's fantastic that great instruments are actually available. I wish that were the case when I started!

I knew someone who was after this set before it was posted and for some reason 9k+ may be the asking price? D'no if I remember correctly?

The seller oughta consider contacting some Comhaltas branches (Chicago, St. Louis in states'd be a good place to start, and perhaps contact NPU as well, and then look for some branches in Ireland if that stuff doesn't pan out). When I was moving my concertina (Suttner), I did just that. There was a wee budding superstar who bought the tina for a fair price. They skipped the 4+yr wait, AND got a broken-in instrument. We both came out winners. I'm sure there's a young piper out there, just dying for this set w/parents who'd support such a smart purchase. You just need to find the kid!

Here's to hoping that kit gets less feckin dust, and more play!!!!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Steampacket

The last Koehler set (a practice set in C) on ebay sold in 4 hours 57 minutes, so there may be a reason for it not selling (being a cheapskate when it comes to buying pipes I am tending towards Rory's explanation :lol: :lol: )

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

A few years ago the set would probably have got twice the price in five minutes.In that time its gone from a sellers market to a buyers market, now’s the time to increase your collection Davy.
Apart from the fact that this is a great instrument, it would be a shrewd investment as in a couple of years when things pick up you could double your money.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

9.000 USD is a reasonable price, especially for those of us in Europe as the dollar is low at the moment. 9.000 USD is 5.624 Sterling = 6.398 Euros = 57.463 Swedish crowns. For this you get a good instrument and an investment, as the cost of a K&Q will rise when times get better economically. A Dave Williams or Geoff Woof set would cost more than this these days.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi rory/Steampacket

5624 sterling plus 23 or so percent on top for import duty and VAT biases the equasion somewhat. If I was going to cough up anything like that amount of cash, I would be haggling with the person selling the Brad Angus full set in B on uilleann obsession.

BTW unless a decent flat chanter comes up at the right price, or a set of drones in C or C#, the next uilleann purchase for me is tenor and baritone regs in B to go with my Roberts half set. The only problem is that Kenny is still experimenting with the design :swear: :swear:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps