Froment D chanter for sale!!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Froment D chanter for sale!!!

Post by Steampacket »

Just happened to see that there is an Alain Froment D chanter up for sale on NPU's classifieds:
"Chanter by Alain Froment – D Pitch – fully keyed and reeded and playing really well – Price €2,500"
http://www.pipers.ie/classifiedsview.asp?key=14509
piobaire mor

Re: Froment D chanter for sale!!!

Post by piobaire mor »

2500 euro! are the keys made from gold or something?
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"2500 euro! are the keys made from gold or something?" piobaire mor

I doubt it, but that's about the going price for a fully keyed chanter by Froment, Williams or Wooff these days :)
tanash369
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by tanash369 »

piobaire mor wrote:2500 euro! are the keys made from gold or something?
:) It's the same with famous painters and other artists. When they die their works became extremly expensive. That's the way it is. I hope the tone of Froment D's is worth so much money? I just read 2 days ago on this forum an old post, where somebody comments that Alain Froment Flat sets are fantastic and same Concert Drones and regs, but he don't like very much Concert chanters. And he mentioned that he know for many pipers who have full Froment Concert pitch sets, but they use chanters from other makers. I gues we all have very different taste.
So what this mean. Why these pipers changed the chanter. Can someone describe the tone of Froment D chanters with words - if it's possible? Bright or mellow, forthright or gentle, sweet or not, rich ect.

Why Alain Concert Chanters are so praised by many, besides that they are very well made? What they have in tonal aspect that so many like them so much ? Thank you
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I had the opportunity to hear a Froment D full set when I attended the St. Louis Tionol and I would describe it as sweet, well balanced and in tune, a bit more nasal sounding and a bit quieter than other makers. I very much enjoyed listening to them. IIRC it had soft and hard ds in tune, which is rare.

I love flat sets and I have a working C 1/2 set finally tuned and balanced. Now for some strength and endurance.
Last edited by fancypiper on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Froment chanters are full of potential.They can be anything you want if they are reeded right .It may take some time but once you get to know them and have the right reed,they can be the chanter you always dreamed of.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .