FS/FT: Early American(?) 6-key boxwood flute DONE

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
monkey587
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

FS/FT: Early American(?) 6-key boxwood flute DONE

Post by monkey587 »

This is a flute I picked up off eBay to restore. Boxwood, brass, and ivory. The headjoint is unlined and there is no tuning slide. It two 1 inch cracks in the headjoint which I've glued, and it was missing the ring at the base of the headjoint which I have replaced with a 3D printed one. It's not an exact match but it's strong and will do the job. When I received it, the keys were stuck open, but after a cleaning they work well enough for the occasional use an Irish player would put them through. The G# key would benefit from having a thinner pad, but it works fine. The keys seal well and reliably when released. The blocks have never been repaired and show very little wear. All in all, I glued the cracks, made the ring, repadded the keys, rethreaded the tenons, and cleaned it all.

Its tone reminds me of Jack Coen's on "The Branch Line." It is sweet and woody sounding. It's not particularly loud although the low D can be quite powerful if you hit it right. I spent a few days playing it exclusively after I got it working again, and was able to get a lot more volume out of it than I would have expected for a narrow-bore, small-hole flute. You get power out of this flute by blowing gently with a tight embouchure. Overall the tuning is good but the F#s are flat typically of flutes from that time (I'm guessing 1800ish).

I'll include a pistol case with it and will ask $400 + shipping (within the US only, please) OBO but might be willing to trade for something like an M&E polymer flute or another similar flute (but not blackwood).

Here's a recording. Apologies for the unintentional variation in the 3rd tune :)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/597 ... odjigs.MP3
William Bajzek
monkey587
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: FS/FT: Early American(?) 6-key boxwood flute

Post by monkey587 »

trade pending...
William Bajzek