An alto recorder?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
mika

An alto recorder?

Post by mika »

Hello guys

I don't know if you remember me... but once I asked for recommendation about Pan flute I'm still deciding about it :)

Now I want to buy an alto recorder and I want this kind of rich sound I wonder what is the difference between recorder from bambu or maypel?
Which kind of wood gives a rich sound?

Any help is welcome

Mika :)
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

ask Loren

probably a bit more to it than just what wood
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi Mika!

I have several wooden recorders, but none of them are bamboo. Mine are maple, alder, pear, and rosewood, but I'm not familiar with bamboo recorders. Mine don't have very diferent tones because of their wood.

None of my recorders have what I would call a rich sound. They have airy, soft voices with a little reed sound in it.

If you have never played a recorder you might want to try a good synthetic one first to save money. Aulos is a very nice, affordable brand of plastic recorder. I heve three of these in different sizes. My favorite is the tenor size because of its lower range and it plays in the key of C.

You might also want to listen to lots of recordings of the instrument. The recorder sounds nothing like the pan flute.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

There are to my knowledge no recorders made of bamboo, at least no true recorders.
I'd suggest you look into the possibility of getting a Renaissance recorder rather than a baroque (the most common) kind. Renaissance recorders have a very different kind of sound, generally much stronger, and with more personality. They also tend to be expensive. There is one variety, a kind of hybrid, having a kind of renaissance-medival look and sound, but the usual baroque fingering. It's called the Dream recorder, made by Mollenhauer, and tey make them in plastic as well as wood. (and composite wood-plastic, too) The price of these ones is much more affordable.
DreamOgreen

Post by DreamOgreen »

Hello mika. I agree with the comments above. the type of wood makes less difference to the tone than other factors such as bore size windway shape etc. If you go to the Antique Sound Workshop website, they have a good bit of information about Recorders.
:)
mika

Post by mika »

Thanks a lot guys it helped me a lot :)

I now think that buying a synthetic recorder would be also an option
Is there a lot of difference between a tenor one and an alto?

I was looking in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX4-RxwfYsY
Is this one an alt?

Greetings
Mika
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Mika, the recorder is called a 'consort' instrument which means that it is available in different sizes often played together by two or more musicians. They range in size and alternate between the keys of C and F, like this:

Garklein C
Sopranino F
Soprano C
Alto F (sometimes G also)
Tenor C
Bass F
Great Bass C

There are unusual ones that are even larger and lower. The most commonly available set would be sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor and bass. Most recorder players have at least a soprano and alto to give them one in C and one in F. The tenor is a rather large recorder and has a pretty good stretch for the fingers. The alto is a convenient size for many beginners. I like to recommend that new players get a soprano and alto set first, then add higher and lower ones as they progress. You can find a good synthetic soprano/alto set for about US$ 60.

The one in the video is an alto recorder in F, ands looks like it might be an Aulos or Yamaha brand synthetic recorder. (It could be a Zenon, but I don't think so.) The quality of that video is poor. They sound much nicer than that.

Here is a link to those brands to show the prices:

http://www.susato.com/aulosrecorders.html

http://www.susato.com/yamaharecorders.html

A synthetic recorder is, in my opinion, the best way to start with recorders, as long as they are very good instruments like the Aulos and Yamaha. Do not waste money on cheap plastic ones. The good ones are made of a resin material that is dense and has a good tone. The cheap plasitc ones sound terrible and are made to sell to children learning their first music lessons.

Also look for recorders that have 'double holes' for the bottom two holes. These are superior for intonation and allow easier fingering for sharps and flats. Aulos makes both kinds for their soprano and higher recorders, so be sure to ask the dealer which kind he is selling if you choose that brand.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
mika

Post by mika »

Hello Tim :)

Thanks for your help and I have some more questions :)
I came across an indian flute from aluminum what do you think about it? From what I heard it has interesting sounds I didn't know it can be made from aluminum or bambu! :)

Here you can hear http://bansuri.fav.co.il/index.php?dir= ... &id=131930
Click on the images of the sound it's pretty new to me

In the first seconds of the series Xena is that bagpipes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6tC0-ub2pY

is Aulos or Yamaha have this double holes? I know there are open holes and without holes what is the different?

Because I have in my mind the sound that a panflute can have I thought the same about a synthetic recorder but I'm not sure how deep sound it can have can you recommend as well about recorder from wood?

Very appreciated
Mika
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

mika wrote:In the first seconds of the series Xena is that bagpipes?
No, that instrument is an Armenian duduk.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi Mika,

As MTGuru says, that instrument is the duduk. It has become popular among the wind players, and you can find a couple of interesting threads about it if you search in this forum. But it is an entirely different instrument from any you have mentioned. I'm sorry that I know nothing about it, but there are others here who can help.

As for the fingering system of recorders, you will find both single and double holes to be common for many makers. They are usually only different in the soprano, sopranino and garklein sizes, as these small recorders are harder to make with double holes. But some manufacturers make both kinds. I have not seen any resin recorders in the alto size that have single holes. The sopranino and garklein sizes are for advanced players and special uses, so do not worry about those today. It is better for you to think about the soprano and alto for now.

To begin playing the recorder I think you would be very wise to choose a Yamaha or Aulos resin recorder. They do not sound too much different from the wooden ones for the beginner, but they are ten times less money. I think it is very important to learn the basic playing first before you can decide on a wooden one. The different woods of recorders have less effect on the sound than does the skill of the player. Unless you get good skills first, you cannot tell one wood from another wood. Also, there are many cheap wooden recorders for sale that are very badly made. A good wooden recorder will cost more. For the beginning player, the resin is the best value and quality.

From the videos you gave us in the other threads, I think an alto size recorder would be good for you. The tenor size would also have the nice deep tone, but the alto would be easier to learn because of its size and cost. Learn today, spend money tomorrow!

You asked "Is Aulos or Yamaha have this double holes? I know there are open holes and without holes what is the different?" I am not certain I understand, but Aulos and Yamaha make single and double hole recorders. The double are better for beginners, so make sure you buy the right kind. As for open holes and closed holes (those without holes), there are some recorders that have 'keys' like a flute to close the holes that are too hard to reach with the fingers. There are the large sizes like tenor and bass. Is that that you mean??

If you want a recorder, I think you should get the Yamaha or Aulos alto size to begin. These are so popular that they are sold all around the world by many suppliers. But I wonder if this is really the instrument you want most. You should get a good resin recorder because they are fun to play, but I think you would like a pan flute better. That is just my advice as a friend.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
mika

Post by mika »

Hello Tim :)

The duduk sound is amazing!

I'm going to search about it I wonder how many kinds there are from the duduk this one is adorable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn5nUVhIgQk

I know there are the recorders from the eastern such as duduk/indian flute that might have difference in the way of playing- has it only semitones? I'm not sure about this.

I love the sound of a pan flute but it's too expensive for me at the moment, it has the most pleasant sound ever! :)

Thanks a lot for you kindly help you helped me a lot
Greetings Friend
Mika
Stan

Re: An alto recorder?

Post by Stan »

Hi Mika-
Can you tell us your price range for purchasing an instrument ?