Eddie Moloney recordings

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MarkP
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Eddie Moloney recordings

Post by MarkP »

Most people here will have delved into the old 'flute geezers' compilation of recordings at some point, the origins of which are s bit vague http://www.lafferty.ca/music/irish/flute-geezers/

Just for interest, I was speaking with Eddie Moloney's son Sean last week who confirmed that his tracks on there 'were made by Eddie himself for Mick O'Connor (Dublin). Eddie had a loan of a reel to reel tape to do these.'

Sean is currently busy collecting original tapes from various archives and sources for an archival CD of his father's music to be released later this year, a greatproject for East Galway music to follow last year's release of the re-mastered John McKenna recordings. Something to look forward to.
Mark
Mr.Gumby

Re: Eddie Moloney recordings

Post by Mr.Gumby »

the origins of which are s bit vague
Not really, the selection of recordings were put together on a tape by Seamus Macmathuna for the purpose of illustrating flute styles.
My brain hurts

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Thanks Peter, I didn't know that. If you happen to have guardianship of any original reel to reels of Eddie or know their location then Sean is doing the rounds of the archives and copyright holders at the moment, sure he'd appreciate any pointers or inside info :)
Mark
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Sean is currently busy collecting original tapes from various archives and sources for an archival CD of his father's music to be released later this year, a greatproject for East Galway music to follow last year's release of the re-mastered John McKenna recordings. Something to look forward to.

The CD of Eddie Moloney archive recordings is among the long list of stuff to be launched at the Willie Clancy week.
My brain hurts

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Yes, should be good, it was launched in Galway last week with a star studded array of those who'd known or played with him, the Shaskeen, etc. See you there perhaps :-)
Mark
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Mark
michael c

Post by michael c »

Just had a chance to listen to these recordings (I got them from Claddagh Records but I'm sure they're available other places too). It has some of the best recorded flute playing I've heard in years - great job by all concerned (including Eddie Moloney).
kenr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenr »

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Hi

as some of you know, we recently organised a launch for the Eddie Moloney archive CD as part of the University of Leeds lunchtime concert series, where Sean and Irene Moloney played tunes and talked about the flute tradition in Ballinakil and East Galway. The full web stream recording is now available to watch online here: http://livestream.com/uol/irish-arts

Mark
Mark
Brus

Post by Brus »

MarkP wrote:Hi

as some of you know, we recently organised a launch for the Eddie Moloney archive CD as part of the University of Leeds lunchtime concert series, where Sean and Irene Moloney played tunes and talked about the flute tradition in Ballinakil and East Galway. The full web stream recording is now available to watch online here: http://livestream.com/uol/irish-arts

Mark
Just got around to watching this.

Fascinating background stories.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)