newbie asks ...what about Eb flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mjmtex

Post by mjmtex »

bradhurley wrote: ...Bryan Byrne made a Pratten-style Eb flute that reportedly was loud enough to crack a glass when it was played in a pub in Ireland (I think Patrick Olwell was there and witnessed it)...
rama wrote:
...So far, the "glass shatterin" Byrne Eb is a flute (or story) to be researched
I just received a long awaited call from Bryan Byrne this evening letting me know that he's ready to ship my keyless D. Should be here in time for St. Pat's. Sweet, sweet!

Anyways, he mentioned hearing a rumor about an Eb flat of his cracking a glass. He, not being connected to the internet world, asked that I set the record straight on the board. It was an Olwell Bamboo G flute that shattered an unopened orange soda bottle on the bar. According to Bryan, he and Patrick Olwell were in a pub in Sligo, having a pint and catching up. Another fellow was next to them blasting away on the bamboo flute (really, really loud) when the bottled shattered. The bar tender told the lad to take it outside or else he'd be buying more than some busted bottles. Bryan said he and Patrick were pretty shocked, never seeing that happen before.

Cheers,
Matt
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Well thanks for the update. Be interested in hearing your take on the D flute when you get it.

Man, that's a first. I suppose if there is a flute to do it, the Olwell bamboo G is the one. I have one of those little honkers, sure is a blast to play but no broken glasses yet. There should be a warning stamped on those babies..."Beware..."
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Glassbreakers

Post by bradhurley »

Anyways, he mentioned hearing a rumor about an Eb flat of his cracking a glass. He, not being connected to the internet world, asked that I set the record straight on the board.
Sorry, my mistake..I must have combined these events in my mind, as I remember Bryan telling me he had recently made an Eb Pratten-style flute and was showing it to Patrick at the time.

Anyway, his Eb flutes are quite fantastic even if they haven't broken any bottles yet. Jimmy Noonan, the mighty Boston-based flute player, has one and it can be heard on a few tracks of the "Maple Leaf" album that he recorded with Chris McGrath.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

No Problem Brad,

I appreciate your helpfulness nonetheless. Besides, Irish pub stories can get a little sketchy at times.

Oh yeah, Jimmy sounds great on the Eb flute. Great stuff!
Bryan Byrne does some nice work. - rama