Jon Cornia (Cochran) Flute design measurements

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Jon Cornia (Cochran) Flute design measurements

Post by Jay »

My first flute was made by Jon Cornia, and I would like a copy of his flute design/schematics. I have asked Jon, but he lost his copy due to a hard drive crash. His quoted reply is below. If anyone has a copy of his flute plans, I would appreciate if you would send me a copy.

Also, does anyone know the flute Jon based this design on?

Greatly appreciated,
Jay
Maybe you can ask on C&F if anyone has a copy, I gave out quite a few. Just say that it was open source, and that I don't mind...

Jon
Maker of wooden flutes for Irish traditional music. www.woodenflutes.com
Aanvil

Re: Jon Cornia (Cochran) Flute design measurements

Post by Aanvil »

Do you still have one of his?

I'm just sayin'

:party:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

Well, then I could just measure it myself...

I owned it for a while. I think it was the first one Jon sold. I played another Cochran a few years ago. I want to compare the dimensions with my current flutes. I'm interested in how the bore and other dimensions affect the playing characteristics.

-Jay
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

"I've had a few; But then again, too few to mention. I did what I had to do."

No plans, just a few of his Rudall-style flutes (2 blackwood, 1 delrin). Maybe one was yours? However, not sure I'm set up to do much measuring, other than simple dial caliper stuff. And the delrin one was a hybrid that he re-bored with a Rudall-style reamer. What do you need?
Jay

Post by Jay »

I wouldn't use the word "need". It would be interesting to me to have a complete schematic of the bore, hole positions and sizes, all of it, and measured down to a 10th of a mm or better. Jon was willing to share his design, and has sent out digital copies of it before. My interest doesn't justify the effort to recreate- just hoping someone has a copy and can pass it along. Thanks for offering.

Jay
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I don't know if Jon has anymore of his finished flutes Kev... giv'em back!

lol.

:thumbsup:
Aanvil

I am not an expert
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Aanvil wrote:I don't know if Jon has anymore of his finished flutes Kev... giv'em back!

lol.

I could loan him one if he needs it to re-create a template. I have not been using them while going through dental hell. In fact, my implant posts have healed and I'm just about to go for the impressions to make the crowns. I can't think how many years it's been since I've been able to chew on both sides.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Jay wrote:I wouldn't use the word "need". It would be interesting to me to have a complete schematic of the bore, hole positions and sizes, all of it, and measured down to a 10th of a mm or better. Jon was willing to share his design, and has sent out digital copies of it before. My interest doesn't justify the effort to recreate- just hoping someone has a copy and can pass it along. Thanks for offering.

Jay
Well, if you do come across a copy, pass it on to me too, please.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

kkrell wrote:
Aanvil wrote:I don't know if Jon has anymore of his finished flutes Kev... giv'em back!

lol.

I could loan him one if he needs it to re-create a template. I have not been using them while going through dental hell. In fact, my implant posts have healed and I'm just about to go for the impressions to make the crowns. I can't think how many years it's been since I've been able to chew on both sides.

Glad to hear you are feeling better! I had massive crack in one of my back teeth about six months ago so I hear ya. Never knew that pain could be like that.

I remember laying on the cold bathroom tile with both fists practically in my mouth holding on the that tooth. I had this crazy notion that I could actually yank it out with my bare hands. Almost did. So I feel ya' bro.

Oh and Kev, I'd stay with the soft pouches with juice and lay off the kibble. It's hell on the enamel. Meeow!

Aanvil

I am not an expert