Best flute options for beginners

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
hpinson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Best flute options for beginners

Post by hpinson »

I'll give a plug for a Casey Burns Folk Flute. It is a wood flute, but if you take care of it as directed, you should be fine. I live in a hot dry and alternatively cold and dry climate too with no problems other than those of my own making. Granted you can't put it in the dishwasher to clean it, and I do oil it regularly but do nothing to keep it at other than the local humidity. Overall it is a remarkable flute for any level of player - a very forgiving embouchure, and a warm lovely tone that carries well, even in a session.

I also have an unkeyed Delrin flute by Rob Forbes that is quite nice. Lots of volume and punch for sessions and quite indestructible. The embouchure is perhaps less forgiving than that on the Burns folk flute, it took me a little time to dial into, but after a few months the flute really shined. I get compliments at sessions on how it sounds.

As far as keys - it you have them you will probably appreciate them. Certainly not a necessity for most tunes you will encounter, with notable exceptions.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

I'v played a Dave Copley blackwood for manny years, which is very easy to play.
I tried out a Gary Somers delrin Pratten at a session today.
I was amazed how easy this flutes plays, volume is no issue either, no bother, effortless!! :thumbsup:
fotosled
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by fotosled »

I own a Somers Pratten flute with delrin slide. It's a lovely instrument with loud lively voice which doesn't cost much. And it's made out of delrin... great for traveling and playing outside in any weather )
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Peter Duggan wrote:
dow wrote:Keep them oiled and you shouldn't have any problems.
Not the whole story when you need to keep them adequately hydrated as well and neither oiling nor hydration in isolation is likely to give your flute everything it needs. Oil to protect the bore surface (and outside too if you like), but hydrate to keep the wood at stable dimensions...
Well, the "adequately hydrated" part I took as a given. I find that If I'm playing regularly, then the flute stays pretty well hydrated. Otherwise, I keep a guardfather in the case. Regular playing (that's daily, not weekly or monthly) goes a long way toward keeping the hydration where it needs to be. Helps with your skills, too. :)
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.