CP: Tipple Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

CP: Tipple Flutes

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Anders Bostrom is a professional flutist performing on Broadway in NYC. The photo shows his kit bag of instruments that he uses that were posted on facebook today. Although somewhat out of focus, my rather plain looking pvc flutes are pictured on the right panel. Most of these flutes were made for Anders for the musical "Tarzan", which ran on Broadway for over a year. I think that the small flute is currently being using for "The Lion King" That my flutes are pictured alongside these other elegant flutes and whistles is a source of pride for me. I can't let this go without saying that I do have a good supply of beautiful and excellent-sounding flutes at very reasonable prices ($85- $110) ready-made for this holiday season. Please see my website at tippleflutes.com
Julia Delaney
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Re: CP: Tipple Flutes

Post by Julia Delaney »

Just a note of support for Doug. These flutes are very inexpensive and are very playable. The idea of getting a very playable flute for about $100 is a wonderful service to the musical community. This is a great present to give to somebody this season. I have flutes costing many thousands of dollars but I am always surprised, when I pick up my Tipple, at how good this inexpensive flutes really is.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Doug that is incredibly cool. I heartily agree with David's comments.

Eric
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I assume the things in the middle are electronic? Fipple flutes or reeds?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Look like wind synths, so neither.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Peter Duggan wrote:Look like wind synths, so neither.
MIDI wind controllers, actually. No sound of their own, but they drive a MIDI synthesizer if you always wanted to play the tuba or glockenspiel with your noodly fingerings. :)

They can actually be (single) reeded or not. But the reed acts as a lip pressure sensor for expression, not a sounding element.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:
MIDI wind controllers, actually. No sound of their own, but they drive a MIDI synthesizer if you always wanted to play the tuba or glockenspiel with your noodly fingerings. :)
Yep, I knew that, but was giving them a common name. Marc Duff used to use them with Capercaillie, and pretty sure they called them wind synths (because that's what you heard) even though the bits you blow and finger are technically just controllers!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I tried one of those controller thingies. . .an early one. A Yamaha if I recall correctly. If they could have come up with a decent uilleann synth sample I'da dug up the dosh to get one. . . :)

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

That's really nice Doug. Indeed, I think you provide a great service and should be proud of your contribution. Still playing my Tipple D with the wedge and enjoying it.
monoRAIL

Post by monoRAIL »

That blurry photo doesn't do Doug's flutes justice. Here's a higher-resolution photo:

Conor O'Kane
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

MTGuru wrote:
MIDI wind controllers, actually. No sound of their own, but they drive a MIDI synthesizer if you always wanted to play the tuba or glockenspiel with your noodly fingerings
Some Midi Controllers have on-board sounds; The AKAI EWI certainly does as I was playing one the other day, out-board sounds were not necessary.

H

http://youtu.be/-a9TZSQma4g
https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/vimy ... d-p-archer (Ormiston Bb Flute) - An excellent waltz by my friend Paul Archer.
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Doug, two questions. Do you have a high D flute? Can you put in a C natural thumb hole? Jim
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Holmes wrote:Some Midi Controllers have on-board sounds; The AKAI EWI certainly does as I was playing one the other day, out-board sounds were not necessary.
Interesting, thanks!

Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

an seanduine wrote:I tried one of those controller thingies. If they could have come up with a decent uilleann synth sample I'da dug up the dosh to get one. . . :) Bob
If you use the AKAI EWI (for example) as a midi controller and drive the sound module of the V-Pipes that should/would do it (?) I've heard the V-Pipes and they are rather convincing.

Holmes

V-Pipes article; http://uilleannpipesbeginner.wordpress. ... ni-review/

Cuig; http://youtu.be/-a9TZSQma4g?list=UU9aOn ... _t1KEunNsg
Waltz by Paul Archer; https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/vimy ... d-p-archer (Bb Flute - Ormiston)
Holmes, Wood & Ruane; https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/paul ... r-flute-up (Holmes McNaughton eight key)
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Holmes wrote:If you use the AKAI EWI (for example) as a midi controller and drive the sound module of the V-Pipes that should/would do it (?) I've heard the V-Pipes and they are rather convincing.
But are the vPipes MIDI? I thought the chanter interface was proprietary, but I could be wrong. I tried them once a few years ago, but I don't remember.