Rudall serial number register up and running

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Rudall serial number register up and running

Post by Steampacket »

Prehaps of interest I've put up my list of Rudall simple system flute serial numbers up on my old uilleann site
Johnson's uilleann pipes site. The direct link is:
http://steampacket.ownit.nu/Rudall%20Ro ... ister.html

Only 200 flutes so far, no photos, just the serial numbers and any description, if any, that came with the flute. Most of this information can be found on the net. From auction houses, museum sites, C&F references, flute nerd sites, and live sightings. Dave Migoya has the most information of course, but I don't have access to that, and didn't think to collect that information when it was available some years ago. Nevermind, this may be of use to some. I'll add any serial numbers that turn up, or get sent to me. Advise me of any mistakes or if you want a name removed, added etc.
radcliff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Re: Rudall serial number register up and running

Post by radcliff »

Love this! :D
Thank You
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Some of the stories are absolutely hair-rising. Hilarious.
Thanks for sharing.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

It's an interesting and entertaining project. Wasn't interested in Rudalls until I unexpectedly won 7103 by bidding online for the first time at a Gardiner & Houlgate auction. Strange story there, 7103 sold for 2117 GBP total at a G&H auction 2009, was put up on E-bay in 2010 starting bid 2500 GBP, no takers then I get it for 902 GBP totalt at a G&H auction, sept. 2012? What went on there? Play 7103 all the time, it's a fine flute. Got hooked on Victoriana, and to my surprise got 5035 cheap in May by bidding online at another auction in Lewes, East Suffolk. Wasn't expecting that either. 5035 needs a repad and has one broken spring, otherwise I play the patent head with an Olwell body. Anyone know anything about these two collectors Paul Jacob and Pádraig Ó Mhaoldomhnaigh?
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Pádraig Ó Mhaoldomhnaigh
Paddy Moloney
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Perhaps better known as Patsy Moloney, if only to distinguish him from the Chieftains' piper..... A good few of his flutes are illustrated In Robert Bigio's book.......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks Jem, I thought Tommy meant the Chieftain's Paddy. Patsy I've heard of just didn't connect with the Irish spelling.Yes, Robert's book is where I found the references to his collection. Fine playing here from Patsy:
http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhal ... y/lang/ga/
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Actually I did, I thought it might be Paddy because I had heard that he has a small collection of Rudalls.
But then I remembered Patsy when Jem mentioned him.

Tommy
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Patsy's collection is quite extensive ... as is that of his brother.

Glad to see Thomas getting this up. It's given me the incentive to get back to the catalogue work of many years.

RudallRose.com will be up and running again soon. Promise.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Oooh, yes please, David!

Alas, Patsy's brother Conor died of mesothelioma in Spring 2013. I acquired one flute from him and a young friend of mine another before his untimely demise and he was busy selling many things off for the benefit of his family, but I don't know what has become of the remainder of his collection and stock (he was always a dealer). He left instructions regarding their disposal, I do know.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

RudallRose wrote:Patsy's collection is quite extensive ... as is that of his brother.

Glad to see Thomas getting this up. It's given me the incentive to get back to the catalogue work of many years.

RudallRose.com will be up and running again soon. Promise.
Hear, hear!

I know it's a job of work dealing with the catalogue, but it's a resource that I for one have sorely missed for quite some time. Thanks to David in advance for restoring it to us, and more generally for all the hard work in assembling it in the first place.

And mazel tov, Thomas, for your own foray into flute scholarship.

Cheers,

Rob
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"RudallRose.com will be up and running again soon. Promise." RudallRose

Looking forward to it :thumbsup:
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Wasn't aware Patsy's brother had passed. Sad.

Patsy, too, is not a bad fluter in his own right.
He pretty much had the run of the Rudalls for many years, (along with Mr. Bingham), coming to be known as the Rudall Guy, often found dealing one or two from the trunk of his car at the Fleadgh or whichever other event.

I believe it was his Bb Rudall that Grinter used to model his own for Crawford's use, wasn't it?

anyways....

at the minimum i should get the serial number list online again. I just updated it this weekend from a very large folder with many many scraps of papers and scrawled numbers on them for ones cited or recorded over time.
Oisincooke

Post by Oisincooke »

Patsy's a wonderful flute player, always at sessions around Birmingham and it'd be rare to see him sitting out of a tune because he didn't know it. The Rudall he usually plays at sessions is a beauty too, silver crown (although it's not a patent head), pewter Eb, wood's in wonderful condition too, beautiful sounding flute.

edit - from that list it looks like the flute I was talking about is no 2718
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"edit - from that list it looks like the flute I was talking about is no 2718" Oisincooke

Aye, well I found 2718 in Robert Bigio's fine book. Any idea of how many Rudalls Patsy has in his collection? Could you ask him to write down the serial numbers if you see him :) . I don't suppose that will happen though. All the best anyway