John McKenna 2 CD: The Buck from the Mountain

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

John McKenna 2 CD: The Buck from the Mountain

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

2 CDs with extensive book.
This release, published by The John McKenna Society in Leitrim, is the definitive work on McKenna and includes his complete corpus of 44 commercial recordings, some of them extremely rare, as well as a substantial accompanying book containing an extensive biography, as well as an analysis of his music style and legacy together with music transcriptions of his tunes. Contributors to the book include many top performers of today on the Irish flute – Matt Molloy, Mick Woods, Harry Bradley, Patsy Hanly, Lorraine Sweeney, Mick Mulvey, Gregory Daly and Conal Ó Gráda, as well as commentators like Jackie Small of the Irish Traditional Music Archive.
Pretty cool. McKenna made wonderful music altogether and it'll be great to have all of it top-to-bottom and with audio restored as fully as possible. As a bit of addenda, here are two unique items of McKenna I transcribed: the reel The Lady Of The House, and the slip jig Fire Away, You Devil You.

dunnp
antispam: No

Re: John McKenna 2 CD: The Buck from the Mountain

Post by dunnp »

Glad to hear this is out.

For the fella looking for how to breathe, this is a perfect place to start. Required listening.
Drink from the same well as all the players mentioned in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97874

Though a but smoother than "The Dunmore Flash."

Not a piccolo on Fire Away You Devil You I would think but as you say a sped up track.
Great name for a tune from a fireman. I wonder if that was a consideration in giving it the title.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:2 CDs with extensive book.
This release, published by The John McKenna Society in Leitrim, is the definitive work on McKenna and includes his complete corpus of 44 commercial recordings, some of them extremely rare, as well as a substantial accompanying book containing an extensive biography, as well as an analysis of his music style and legacy together with music transcriptions of his tunes. Contributors to the book include many top performers of today on the Irish flute – Matt Molloy, Mick Woods, Harry Bradley, Patsy Hanly, Lorraine Sweeney, Mick Mulvey, Gregory Daly and Conal Ó Gráda, as well as commentators like Jackie Small of the Irish Traditional Music Archive.
Pretty cool. McKenna made wonderful music altogether and it'll be great to have all of it top-to-bottom and with audio restored as fully as possible. As a bit of addenda, here are two unique items of McKenna I transcribed: the reel The Lady Of The House, and the slip jig Fire Away, You Devil You.

Should be getting my copy this week, Can't wait! :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

Harry Bradley has been, on his piping blog, devoting some time towards some McKenna tunes. He seems to be going into more detail than normal in the commantaries, and he's been playing the tune slowly first. Really nice stuff.

http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
plamas

Post by plamas »

Having been involved to a minor extent in this John McKenna project, can I just reiterate that every one who aspires to an interest in Irish traditional music, not just flute music, should have this book and CD set.
Great praise is due to Sean Gilrane who has been exhaustive in researching this whole area, and who now knows more about McKenna than he did himself!
If you're wondering how to get hold of a copy just go to www.johnmckenna.ie
All the Best
Hammy Hamilton
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote:Should be getting my copy this week, Can't wait! :D
Waiting... maybe soon.
michael c

Post by michael c »

plamas wrote:Having been involved to a minor extent in this John McKenna project, can I just reiterate that every one who aspires to an interest in Irish traditional music, not just flute music, should have this book and CD set.
Great praise is due to Sean Gilrane who has been exhaustive in researching this whole area, and who now knows more about McKenna than he did himself!
If you're wondering how to get hold of a copy just go to http://www.johnmckenna.ie
All the Best
Hammy Hamilton

I agree wholeheartedly with Hammy. My copy of these CDs arrived this morning and I had to spend 4 hours driving today which gave me a chance to hear all the material. I'll hopefully get a read at the beautifully produced book this evening. I'd heard most of the recordings before but the cleaning and remastering job done on them has brought out great detail in the sound of the flute and other instruments. Music which was great enough to shine through a fog of fuzz and hiss is now fit to dazzle in the absence of these obstructions. Sean Gilrane's talk about McKenna at Cruinniú na bhFliúit this year was a great combination of knowledge and passion. My only very minor quibble with Hammy's assertion that Sean knows more about McKenna than McKenna did would be that he was unable to confirm what size shoes McKenna took. Hammy might still be right though; there's no being sure that McKenna knew his shoe size either.
kenny

Post by kenny »

8 1/2. [ although it was alleged his right foot increased in size to 9, through excessive foot-stamping ].
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Got my copy today! Love it! :D
I would highly recommend getting this, what a wealth of tunes, and great flute playing! :shock:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote:Got my copy today!
Grrr...
nohoval_turrets

Post by nohoval_turrets »

Got mine this morning. I've heard a lot of these tracks before, but oh the clarity now!
MarkusT

Post by MarkusT »

Just ordered this package. It looks great! Perfect way to spend the summer!
nohoval_turrets

Post by nohoval_turrets »

There was a segment on this on the John Murray show on RTE radio on Wednesday morning. You can listen to it, or download it from here.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:
Jon C. wrote:Got my copy today!
Grrr...
Mine was special delivery... :P
Michael Flatley

Jon
MarkusT

Post by MarkusT »

Got mine today. Quick delivery ;-)
And it's a fantastic piece of flute history! Great stuff! Thank you!