New Blackwood Olwell on ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: New Blackwood Olwell on ebay

Post by Gabriel »

It is not uncommon for african blackwood to have brown streaks. Always depends on how old the stocks are and how old the tree was. With time, (sun)light exposure and oiling, the wood turns pitch black. I once had a few billets of blackwood that were indeed pitch black inside and outside, but that timber had been seasoned for over 50 years. Those qualities are hard to come by these days.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Indeed Gabriel..
LewisC: Here's my Murray flute, top when i got it and bottom after 6 months.

the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
LewisC
Tell us something.: It is a beautiful day in the piedmont for playing a favorite boxwood simple-system flute. Is that enough typing to get to 100 characters?? Maybe not, just to make sure here is a bit more stuff from the keyboard ...

Post by LewisC »

Thanks for the photos. That is a lot of difference. The visible grain has always been one of the appeals of cocus, mopane, kingwood, etc for a musical instrument.

I wonder if there are human-contact safe UV inhibitors that would retain some of the grain variation. If it is oxygen that changes the chemistry of absorbed and reflected light then there is nothing to do.

L
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I wonder if the change in color from grainy brown to black also has an effect on sound/tone of the flute. I would think (though for no particular reason) that the dark black seasoned wood would have a more nuanced "better" tone. What do you think, Lars?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

No heartwood or partially oxidised wood here:

Quote;Patrick Olwell: Here is a flute that I have just finished, our Pratten model in African Blackwood and all sterling silver and six keys. This is made of the best wood we have, straight grained and clear of knots or tiny defects, and is a flute that I have fussed over a bit..

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Akiba: Sam told me that "a good flute is good from the word go, it's not the flute that gets played in, it's you getting aquainted with the flute"
I can't say i have experienced any difference between 2011 (when i got it) and now. Perhaps there is without me noticing it? But AFAIK only the colour has changed since i got it.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

LewisC wrote:The visible grain has always been one of the appeals of cocus, mopane, kingwood, etc for a musical instrument.
That was one of my reasons for getting a mopane flute, but after a few years, it got quite dark. In average light, it looks pretty much like what you see in the photo to the left--very dark brown. In bright light, it still has a visible grain and reddish highlights.
Like Larry, I didn't notice a difference in tone as the flute aged/darkened. I think Sam's idea is right.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

It looks a bit like my old Wilkes
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Sam told me that "a good flute is good from the word go, it's not the flute that gets played in, it's you getting aquainted with the flute
He also told me he hates playing new flutes but I suppose that could be taken as flutes he needs to get acquainted with.
My brain hurts

Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

$9353!! Great for Mr Olwell to have several lively bidders drive the price up for them. Congrats!
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what Patrick's current price is for a "regular" six-keyed blackwood flute? I believe that this one commanded quite a premium. Congratulations to the winner and the Olwells.
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

Holy crap, that's a chunk of change! Good for Patrick!
huffin' and puffin'
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

:shock:
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"
Quote:
Sam told me that "a good flute is good from the word go, it's not the flute that gets played in, it's you getting aquainted with the flute" LLM.

"He also told me he hates playing new flutes but I suppose that could be taken as flutes he needs to get acquainted with." Mr. Gumby.

Yes, I've noticed Mr. Murray can get very well acquainted with people's flutes
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Well done Pat, and congratulations to the the winning bidder. 5.515 sterling = 9353 USD is about what folks would have paid for a good Rudall a few years ago.
Last edited by Steampacket on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.