£500.00 Budget, which keyless flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rich_N_
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

£500.00 Budget, which keyless flute?

Post by Rich_N_ »

Folks,

As the header states, I'm looking for a good quality new flute in the key of D for around £500.00. I've got a Tony Dixon polymer flute but I like quality................ :puppyeyes:

I've been toying with the idea of an Ormiston Blackwood but £900 is a bit much considering I also spend loads on my Goldie whistles and expensive cameras, and bicycles, and computers and you get the gist!!!!!!! :shock: !

So, anyone with an opinion regarding a good keyless flute for around £500.00?

Cheers,

Rich
D Flute - Millyard & Molem African Blackwood
F Flute - M&E Polymer
Eb FLute - M&E Polymer
Low Bb - Giles Lehart (African Blackwood)
High Eb, D, A, G, F and Low D whistles - the wonderful Colin Goldie
High Bb and a high D - Chieftain.
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: £500.00 Budget, which keyless flute?

Post by maracirac »

gilles lehart flute ..... it will cost you 660 euros with short delivery time.
marin
weedie

Post by weedie »

G'day Rich,
Terry McGee posted here a week or so ago with some of his keyless Flutes that are ready to purchase now.... if you scroll down a few posts you'll see the post..a couple there for $800/$900 Aussie dollars... I have a Terry Flute and really like it,he's easy to deal with,a great Flutemaker and also a good bloke :) ..
Web site here ...
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Avail-flutes.htm
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And keep an eye on the C&F Used Instrument Forum. All sorts of good things come up there.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

I'd go for a Keyless Francois Baubet, it's well within budget, and you'd be hard pressed to find a better sub 500-flute!
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Phil Bleazey's small-holed flute is about £500. I've had one for over a decade and it's still one of my favorites to play. It doesn't lend itself to a fat sound if that's what you like, but it's got plenty of volume and is very easy on the lip and on the hands and enables really crisp ornaments.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

A friend of mine has a M&E deluxe polymer flute with 6 keys, which sounds lovely when she plays it. It is priced at 550 euros including hard case on the website M&E flutes.

Why buy keyless, when you can get a keyed flute from a known maker at the same price?

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
I am Stephen, I live and play trad music in Cork city since 2002.
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

If you are 100% sure that flute is an instrument that you like, take a Vincenzo Di Mauro or Baubet Wooden or Delrin and save your money for a good Keyed flute, if you play several years with a Keyless, when you will get a keyed flute you will never use the C key.
weedie

Post by weedie »

I don't believe that keys are needed for playing Irish Trad ,but that's just my two bobs worth..
Whistles,as a rule don't have keys .
If you are playing other Music ,well then that's another story.
Maybe Rich just wants to play Irish Music....on a 'naked' Flute :) ..
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Timberflute22 wrote:If you are 100% sure that flute is an instrument that you like, take a Vincenzo Di Mauro or Baubet Wooden or Delrin and save your money for a good Keyed flute, if you play several years with a Keyless, when you will get a keyed flute you will never use the C key.
I agree. Also Francois Baubet will swap your unkeyed Delrin joints for keyed ditto should you feel the need.

EDIT: Timberflute22: I don't know if i am interpreting you wrong, but to me it looks a bit like "buy a Di Mauro or Baubet as a stopgap until you are able to buy a good flute".
I truly believe you could spend the rest of your life with either and be perfectly happy. :)
I don't think that is how you meant though..
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:
Timberflute22 wrote:If you are 100% sure that flute is an instrument that you like, take a Vincenzo Di Mauro or Baubet Wooden or Delrin and save your money for a good Keyed flute, if you play several years with a Keyless, when you will get a keyed flute you will never use the C key.
I agree. Also Francois Baubet will swap your unkeyed Delrin joints for keyed ditto should you feel the need.

EDIT: Timberflute22: I don't know if i am interpreting you wrong, but to me it looks a bit like "buy a Di Mauro or Baubet as a stopgap until you are able to buy a good flute".
I truly believe you could spend the rest of your life with either and be perfectly happy. :)
I don't think that is how you meant though..
Yes, I agree you could run all life with them.
However if your passion still rule year by year you will put your eyes in the top quality irish flute makers, that are so more expensive than Francois or Vincenzo.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Having owned LOTS of keyless flutes (I think about 10), I would recommend (since you're in the UK already) a Martin Doyle. Mine was easy to play and had a great sound. He has an interesting technique where he "bells out" the internal channel at the bottom of the flute. Seems to really help with the "honk". He's right on your price point, for the one-ferrule model (which is what I had)...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I would recommend (since you're in the UK already) a Martin Doyle.

I am totally mystified by the relevance of the :
(since you're in the UK already)
when it comes to recommending the Doyle over some of the other flutes mentioned above.
My brain hurts

Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

plunk111 wrote:He has an interesting technique where he "bells out" the internal channel at the bottom of the flute.

Pat

Otherwise known as back reaming the foot(joint). Not an uncommon technique among wooden flute makers.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

@ Gumby: Sheesh!!! do I EVER say anything that you don't jump on? I simply meant that shipping, duty, etc, would be easier with the Doyle since it's close. I've owned both M&E and McGee flutes and the Doyle beats the M&E hands down, but the McGee is a superb flute as well (but it ships from Australia). My McGee was a GLP, by the way.

Haven't played the others mentioned, so can't comment - I was simply recommending from my own experience. At the price point mentioned, I think the Doyle is a great choice. I have also owned: a Casey Burns Folk Flute, a Copley keyless (great flute, but has to go through Customs over there), Sweetheart, and a few delrins by Copley and Sommers. I've also played a few more, but haven't had long-term experience with them.

@ Loren: I commented on the back reaming of the Doyle because his seems a little more pronounced than other flutes I've owned.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV